Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on selling my GT and getting a Cobra, with the same body style.. This 99-04 style is just heaven on earth. IMO.

Although, I don't want to be stuck with something that is worn down, so... I plan on purchasing a cobra with a blown engine or something.

Question..

How much would it cost for this:
  • New Cobra engine, not rebuilt.
  • New transmission (Manual)
  • New Driveshaft/Flywheel (Seems like a good idea)
  • Rear end is going to run me about $250
  • Also, Anything else I should think about besides exhaust please add. (Not talking chargers, intake, tuners, etc. Just going to make it stock to start out)

I have a feeling this battle is going to go Uphill, and Downhill. :swordfight::bash:

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
What year cobra?

03/04 are going to be far more expensive to rebuild then a 99/01 cobra

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave yourself the hassle. Just buy a clean title
I don't like the newer body styles on mustangs. 99-04 is the only one that I can stand. The others just sicken me.

I'd say an 99-01 cobra.

EDIT: Scratch that, I'll take a 69 over a 99-04 any day.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Why not buy a clean 99/01 cobra? Why would you want to rebuild it if it's already working fine?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I think you'll find the rebuilding and replacing with new parts to be disheartening. Not worth it typically. Find a nice clean Termi if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you'll find the rebuilding and replacing with new parts to be disheartening. Not worth it typically. Find a nice clean Termi if that's what you're looking for.
Termi? Hrm? I haven't been around too long... So if I look stupid when I ask... What is a Termi? lol.

Also, The Cobras where I am (Houston, TX) run about 10k with nearly 200,000 miles on them. THAT is why I would feel better with new. Not to mention I baught my GT at 160k... it was running perfect then, 1.5k miles later, it's falling apart.

EDIT: Google was my friend.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
03/04 cobra

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Also if youre finding 99/01 cobras for 10k with 200k miles on them, you need to be looking harder lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also if youre finding 99/01 cobras for 10k with 200k miles on them, you need to be looking harder lol
I looked 3-4 hours a day within a 100 mile radius for almost a month.

Why would I get a 03 Cobra which is priced at 16k (kbb) instead of an 01 that is priced at 9k when for that 7k I can just toss in a KB Twin-Screw? Curious on what the benefits of one or the other would be

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Well, it's not only the KB blower.

03/04 have the sideskirts, front bumper, rear bumper, hood, rear spoiler, t-56 trans, better irs, seats, gauge cluster, forged internals, and the list goes on...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it's not only the KB blower.

03/04 have the sideskirts, front bumper, rear bumper, hood, rear spoiler, t-56 trans, better irs, seats, gauge cluster, forged internals, and the list goes on...
See, that's the thing. Something about me dislikes High base numbers. I don't mind purchasing something and putting money into it, but when it comes to high base numbers my eyes fly towards one thing and one thing only. The Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Don't hate, I know. It's a jap car. Something about me see's that big price-tag on the car itself without the modifications and I want to buy new instead. Not to mention I've wanted an STi forever, but I love the sound/torque of the v8. If i just grab the Terminator and a KB Twin-Screw at the same time, I'll get it with 20k(if lucky) -- probably more or less around 25k here in houston. Not sure if that's a high base that i'd like to hit. That's why I lean towards the GT which you can get for 5-6k base, although... I've heard so much about a cobra, and how that "Cobra" across the back is an eye catcher.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Look harder, don't be afraid to travel to find the car you want. It took me almost four months to find the one I wanted.... I was willing to travel anywhere in the continental US to pick mine up... ended up finding a fresh trade at a Hyundai dealership 1.5 hrs away for a smokin' price. Buying a 99/01 and adding a supercharger isn't exactly right... lots of supporting mods that have to be added such as a new fuel system, tune etc....... Perfect AA+ Termi's can be had for 15-18 with very low miles. Good B+ Termis are out there for 10-12. My personal advice would to be skip all that **** and buy a nice GT with low miles. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look harder, don't be afraid to travel to find the car you want. It took me almost four months to find the one I wanted.... I was willing to travel anywhere in the continental US to pick mine up... ended up finding a fresh trade at a Hyundai dealership 1.5 hrs away for a smokin' price. Buying a 99/01 and adding a supercharger isn't exactly right... lots of supporting mods that have to be added such as a new fuel system, tune etc....... Perfect AA+ Termi's can be had for 15-18 with very low miles. Good B+ Termis are out there for 10-12. My personal advice would to be skip all that **** and buy a nice GT with low miles. Just my opinion.
So, personally. Do you believe that once I get rid of my current GT, which I'm doing. End of discussion. Nobody will touch the Auto->Manual transmission swap. Plus it's a convert, truly a sad car in my eyes. I should get another one? Then just put a good amount of money into it?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
So, personally. Do you believe that once I get rid of my current GT, which I'm doing. End of discussion. Nobody will touch the Auto->Manual transmission swap. Plus it's a convert, truly a sad car in my eyes. I should get another one? Then just put a good amount of money into it?
The only reason I think you should get rid of your current car is because you're obviously unhappy with it...... hate it and you've already said it has 200K miles. Who won't touch the swap? It's easy as hell. I've done many of them.... none of that matters though because you don't want the car. I don't like the New Edge Cobras mainly because of the cobbled together IRS.... as well as lots of heat soak issues with the Termis. GTs carry the 2V motor which is far cheaper to mod.... and considerably lighter than the Termi or the 99/01 Cobras. That part is just my opinon, not what you should do. I'm a drag strip guy. I don't drive my car.... don't wanna drive it. I like going fast in a straight line...... and my choice for said job is a much lighter 2V GT. That's just my choice.

I'm a very picky person. I wanted a virgin New Edge in Silver with black interior in A+ condition. After a nation wide search for almost four months I found the car I currently race for $6100 with 126K miles. The car was immaculate. If I had been looking for a nice, sporty, hot rod V8 Mustang to daily drive... it was perfect the way I drove it off the lot. You have no idea at the condition this car was in. I didn't buy it to have a daily driver though... I bought it with a future goal in mind so when I got it back to the shop I raped it..... brutally raped it. That's what I wanted... I can't really tell you what you want so I just gave my suggestion based on what I like.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hate the automatic transmission. The convertible top is something I have an on/off thing for. If I could just get a Tranny swap I would be the happiest man alive with my current car. I've called every transmission shop in a 30 mile radius and they all said "Hell no"

One said they would do it, if... and ONLY IF... i provided every part necessary and then it would be anywhere from 70-200 hours of paid labor. What the hell? I call bullshit.

So that's going to run me 5-20grand for a transmission swap, IF I PROVIDE EVERYTHING... Highway robbery.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Im sure you could find someone wanting to swap there 5 speed for your auto. Youll have all the parts you need. Then the swap yourself. Worst part would be under the dash, setting up the clutch pedal/quadrant. Not that it would be hard, just limited space.

But, if you want a Cobra. Just keep looking. Up here, you can find them with 60k miles for about $8-9000.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Hey, I missed the part about the 'vert. Yeah. Squash my response to your PM. I hate 'vert. **** it. Sell that bitch. Start over. Sorry. I hate them. If you love 'verts, keep it and move forward.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, I missed the part about the 'vert. Yeah. Squash my response to your PM. I hate 'vert. **** it. Sell that bitch. Start over. Sorry. I hate them. If you love 'verts, keep it and move forward.
LOL. So I'm not the only one that has a very strong hate towards them. LOL.
Let's just pretend that the PM is about a non-vert that I just purchased >_>

Which... is going to happen soon... really soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts