Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 4.10 installed about 3 years ago. Months ago my car started kind of clumnking when down shifting just to a stop and sometimes when accelerating. Yesterday the overdrive light came on when I started the car and it was blinking. This is the only time it has done this.

I probably should have had my car looked at when it started but had other things to fix on the car which were more important.

F.Y.I I replaced the braked a two weeks ago.

I do see a small amount of fluid under the back of the car where the gears would be but is is a minimal amount.

What do you think the problem is.

I am having the car looked at tomorrow but just wanted your opinions.

I do have a heator core leak that has not been fixed yet but I dont think this is related. Maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I take it you car is an Automatic? Have you checked the trans fluid?

·
Registered
978 Posts
couldnt call it right off the bat, so i say take it in and let someone look at it for you so they can identify the problem. hope its nothing serious, but it doesnt sound like it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the trans fluid and it seemed fine. I had the trans overhauled with an HD converter and shift kit when I changed out the gears.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the car to Gear Box. They focus on gears and transmissions.

Im not really mechanically inclined. I just know what I asked for but a copy of the receipt states the below

2 engine mounts, transmission mounts
master o/h kit
HP Frictions
STS
Set. Bearings
Shift Kit
Filter
HD Converter
Snythetic fluid
Ring and pinion
Install Kit
Oil
Remove, disassemble and inspect transmission, overhaul and Re-install

Install new 4.10 gears in rear differential

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sounds like they rebuilt the tranny and back end. I think it sounds like you have an issue with the OD in your transmission. They should be able to diagnose it pretty simple once they crack it open. Trouble is you have to pay for them pulling the trany to find out.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Some people say the blinking o/d light means the tranny is throwing a code and to check it with a scanner some have had different code/issues/outcomes but its a sign that somethings not right.

Just because a certian shop does specific work like "GearBox" Don't always mean there good at it.Not saying there is anything wrong with where you went, but you never know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have it at the shop today and they are checking it out. I thought it may be a differential bushing. Any opinions

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
No Bushings in the Diff? You mean the clutches?

OR are you talking about the Bushing in the upper and lower controll arms?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im not sure. Mechanic just called and said differential cover had a hole in it and therefore it broke something inside and it had lost some fluid and they checked the trans and it has metal in it. They are taking it apart to see exactly what broke and the cost of fixing it.

They did say they would cut me a deal since they did all the work two years ago.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Im not sure. Mechanic just called and said differential cover had a hole in it and therefore it broke something inside and it had lost some fluid and they checked the trans and it has metal in it. They are taking it apart to see exactly what broke and the cost of fixing it.

They did say they would cut me a deal since they did all the work two years ago.
WoW...

I would not be going back to them.I did my 4.10s in my Drive way by myself and its been 2yrs and no issues and im pretty hard on my car.They must have done somthing wrong to cause this.

It might just be metal from the clutches but if that was also rebuilt 2 years ago you shouldent have metal in it, or enough to be worried about.

Find out what they say the problem is and post it up!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will reply as soon as I find out something. They said it would take a couple of days to take it apart and let me know what is going on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just found out car needs new gears and new trannny. They are replacing both but to decrease the chances of this happening again, they are installing a bigger blower and racing trans with a better converter. Cost $4,000:(

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Just found out car needs new gears and new trannny. They are replacing both but to decrease the chances of this happening again, they are installing a bigger blower and racing trans with a better converter. Cost $4,000:(
Bigger Blower?

I could build you a Bullet proof Tans andbullet proof Rearend for $2k and thats with the best of everything.Maybe a tad more depending on the converter but still in the low $2k range...

Where are these people getting there prices :eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They called me this morning. I asked them yesterday to give the car back because I wanted a second opinion. They said it was in pieces. They advised me this morning that the price included redoing the trans to a stage three racing kit. I need that as the mods I am doing to the car will eventally lead me to drag race it. That way when I get the mods done I dont have to redo the trans. Hopefully this will be worth the price.

They also said I could pay half now and the other half the beginning of the year. I go to them alot so I have a good repore with them. They may charge more but do realy good work.

The trans went out before because I drive it hard and it was not able to support the driving I do.

Again, they could still be giving me the run around.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Id still tell em i want a second opinion. I've never seen a reputable shop that will tell you your car is in pieces instead of telling you to come grab it. Usually they just say something like. "well its taken apart but if you want we can put the pieces in a box in the car and you can come get it towed out". Most good shops have more than enough work so they aren't too worried about you taking yours elsewhere. Just sounds weird that they seem so cryptic and defensive.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
dont wana thread jack, and yeah something is fishy bout that shop, but anywho....

my car drives fine until it reaches 2600rpms it vibrates y?!....and while crusing at around 75-80 u can feel a vibration...vibrates then pauses vibrates then pauses, about 2seconds in between pauses...y tha vibrations?

any opinions

1 - 20 of 34 Posts