Modded Mustang Forums banner

Could it be a gear problem?

3K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  oannamarie 
Some people say the blinking o/d light means the tranny is throwing a code and to check it with a scanner some have had different code/issues/outcomes but its a sign that somethings not right.

Just because a certian shop does specific work like "GearBox" Don't always mean there good at it.Not saying there is anything wrong with where you went, but you never know.

Im not sure. Mechanic just called and said differential cover had a hole in it and therefore it broke something inside and it had lost some fluid and they checked the trans and it has metal in it. They are taking it apart to see exactly what broke and the cost of fixing it.

They did say they would cut me a deal since they did all the work two years ago.
WoW...

I would not be going back to them.I did my 4.10s in my Drive way by myself and its been 2yrs and no issues and im pretty hard on my car.They must have done somthing wrong to cause this.

It might just be metal from the clutches but if that was also rebuilt 2 years ago you shouldent have metal in it, or enough to be worried about.

Find out what they say the problem is and post it up!

Just found out car needs new gears and new trannny. They are replacing both but to decrease the chances of this happening again, they are installing a bigger blower and racing trans with a better converter. Cost $4,000:(
Bigger Blower?

I could build you a Bullet proof Tans andbullet proof Rearend for $2k and thats with the best of everything.Maybe a tad more depending on the converter but still in the low $2k range...

Where are these people getting there prices :eek:

They called me this morning. I asked them yesterday to give the car back because I wanted a second opinion. They said it was in pieces. They advised me this morning that the price included redoing the trans to a stage three racing kit. I need that as the mods I am doing to the car will eventally lead me to drag race it. That way when I get the mods done I dont have to redo the trans. Hopefully this will be worth the price.

They also said I could pay half now and the other half the beginning of the year. I go to them alot so I have a good repore with them. They may charge more but do realy good work.

The trans went out before because I drive it hard and it was not able to support the driving I do.

Again, they could still be giving me the run around.
Look at the big picture here man.Reguardless of how you drive the Rearend should not have came apart end story. I can see the tranny having issues considering you say that you drive it hard but at the same time the 4r70w's are a stout tranny.

And its crazy that you would pay more then the worth of your Car itself to get the Tranny/Rearend fixed.You can buy a Complete 94-98 Car for $3500-$4000 Around here.

Wish you lived near me and had $4,000 to spend i could help out with Install.

Transmission-
$600 Internal Parts

Red Clutches, Carbon Fiber bands, Fairbanks shift kit, hardened stub shaft, etc.Basically Everything think you can do but a Break or Manual VB...

$400 Stall Converter

Rearend-

$450 (Kit includes an FRPP 31 spline Traction-Lok, 2 hardened Yukon 5 lug 31 spline axles, and 10 wheel studs)

$165 FRPP Gears and Motive Install Kit Includes:
3.55-3.73-3.90.4.10 Etc. Gears
Pinion Seal
Carrier Shims
Crush Sleeve
Pinion Nut
Cover Gasket
Ring Gear Bolts
Brush
Gear Marking Compound
Loctite

Now you have spent $1,615..

You have $2,385 Left...

On 3 Performance Turbo Kit - $1,725 or Upgrade to Master Power T-70 making the price $1,995.

Still Leaving you with $390 To Buy Tubular K-Member for the Turbo kit and MISC parts needed to complete the kit...

Just Giving you an Example there is much more you can get out of $4,000 then what there giving you thats all.

Okay. This car is really killing me. I got the transmission fixed and had the shop send it over to the mechanic so that they could replace the heater core. When they took everything apart they stated that the radiator needed flushed and the intake had a crack in it.

Does anyone know what the estimated cost would be for this work? I am waiting for a quote from them.

I have intakes for sale...

And there easy just take it apart and put **** back where you took it from:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.