Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have talked to a few previously about this problem i keep having, if the car is cold it will fire right up, but when i go out to start it after it has been ran prviously it chuggs and putts upon the start up and smells really rich i don't think it is a fuel issue because it fires right up when cold. it clears out after i take off. but every now and then it will burp out the exhaust when idling. that 's why i wondered if it was the iac becasue the maf should set a code correct. ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wtf

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
^ easiest way to rule those out (if dirty) besides spending time asking is to just get you a $5 can of cleaner and take 10min max to clean them and see if it helps any.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ easiest way to rule those out (if dirty) besides spending time asking is to just get you a $5 can of cleaner and take 10min max to clean them and see if it helps any.
they have both been cleaned and it still does it:(

·
Registered
343 Posts
i would think it was IAC over MAF, i had similar problems with my durango and it was the IAC

·
Registered
343 Posts
no problem
does it ever shut off at redlights or anything?
idk if you have an automatic or manual (autos are usually more prone to doing this)

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you have any buddies at local shops, you can get them to hook a scanner up and drive around and monitor the real time values. I have software on my laptop that does that, and it's helped us diagnose several problems with sensors

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no its a stick, but i can run it all day and then shut it off go back out an hout later and it will spit and sputter when it starts, it has also started to sound like a carburated car when i shift, our cars have that growl when we shift but mine cuts right back like a carburated car so that makes me think the iac isn't letting the right amount of air in or out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
well mass air flow could really screw up your AF ratio and cause the same problems
go start your car and turn the AC on and then off and do that a few times
The computer will tell the IAC to compensate for the extra 15hp drag
Ever noticed how if you're sitting in your driveway and do that at idle it drops to 500 and then back to around 800? I would think if you were having any problems with your IAC that's where you would see it

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very true i actually ran the air today and it did idle down and up just like it should, good thinking!

·
Registered
343 Posts
alright cool, well if it did that, i really doubt it would be the IAC
If you were local i'd scan your car real-time and make this easy haha
Do you anyone that can do that?
MAF works using a heated wire that measures how much the air passing cools it down and then judges how much air is coming into the engine (that seems pretty primitive right?) and i'm assuming some where there'd have to be a sensor that knows the temperature ahead of time for it to compensate for cold conditions...

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's what i'd do
Otherwise you might have to take the OBD1 method of replacing sensors until something changes lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you plan on ever supercharging it, you might as well
I think i'm going with sniper's bazooka MAF when i build my motor up

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have no idea what it is either just that my car does it and my friends lightning also does it. Also heard a couple other mustangs start up and do the same things.

I just thought that it might be a modular or normal thing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Does it randomly shut off? My friend's explorer did that, and i thought it was the CPS, turns out it was actually the plug for the CPS. Apparently it's a common problem, the plastic fatigues and it doesn't hold the connectors together properly

·
Registered
282 Posts
^^ i believe what he is talking about is once the car is warm and driven for around 30 mins or longer (maybe not even that) if he turns it off then comes back 5 mins later the car will barely start and kinda sputter to start. I know mine does somtimes but doesnt bother me. And also my friends lightning does the exact same thing. I have just began to think that its a modular thing.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dunno it has always done it and it only had 20,000 miles on it when i bought it. maybe it is nothin but it bugs me,i want my **** to fire right up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts