Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how often exhaust questions get posted so I spent a fair amount of time researching. But I just couldn't find any that answered my question.

Right now I have a custom axle back. It sounds nice and deep, with very little drone. If I remember correctly, the muffler shop said it was Flowmaster brand but it just didn't have the name on it.

I would like to make it louder. Not crappy loud like straight pipes. Ive heard some of the newer mustangs with it and I do not like them. It almost sounds like those fart cans that some cars have...Hondas *cough*

All my mods are suspension/wheels/tires. I was thinking about doing the intake/tuner/exhaust(offroad x pipe) but decided the car is plenty fast and I just want to keep my warranty. I know the warranty is not void unless it cause the failure blah blah blah.

So yeah, basically what can I do to my exhaust system to make it louder and more aggresive without sending a code/not passing emission? I don't want crazy idling or anything...just something that will be very noticeable under WOT.

I did think about getting a new axle back but since I already have one...and I like my current one. Just want a tad bit louder and more aggressive under WOT.

If this has been answered at some point, please link me to the thread and the mod can delete this thread. I'm sorry if this has been answered already.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I know how often exhaust questions get posted so I spent a fair amount of time researching. But I just couldn't find any that answered my question.

Right now I have a custom axle back. It sounds nice and deep, with very little drone. If I remember correctly, the muffler shop said it was Flowmaster brand but it just didn't have the name on it.

I would like to make it louder. Not crappy loud like straight pipes. Ive heard some of the newer mustangs with it and I do not like them. It almost sounds like those fart cans that some cars have...Hondas *cough*

All my mods are suspension/wheels/tires. I was thinking about doing the intake/tuner/exhaust(offroad x pipe) but decided the car is plenty fast and I just want to keep my warranty. I know the warranty is not void unless it cause the failure blah blah blah.

So yeah, basically what can I do to my exhaust system to make it louder and more aggresive without sending a code/not passing emission? I don't want crazy idling or anything...just something that will be very noticeable under WOT.

I did think about getting a new axle back but since I already have one...and I like my current one. Just want a tad bit louder and more aggressive under WOT.

If this has been answered at some point, please link me to the thread and the mod can delete this thread. I'm sorry if this has been answered already.
with out removing cats, which will.throw a code, is illegal and of course wont pass smog...you wont get much louder...cats act as a massive muffler and thus muffle the sound...

some shorty heders might free up a little noise, but not much, its tje cats that quiet it down so much...

the other option is an exhaust with the electeic cut outs...you by pass the entire exhaust system and thus its louder...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Also look into the Roush axle back. It's not a muffler, but an exhaust amplifier.

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Also look into the Roush axle back. It's not a muffler, but an exhaust amplifier.
yea, im going to get the boss quad exhaust and put the roushes on the side pipes :)

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
You may run into a small ground clearance issue with that.....

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
You may run into a small ground clearance issue with that.....
yea, i would never..... the LCA relocate brackets are already a little too low for my liking..

to answer the main question though..... nothing is going to make them much louder, but as suggested.... over axle pipes with no resonators is a good start.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
I think you might like the borla stingers. They are quite at idle yet noticeable at acceleration. And at 7k RPMS youll love them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had some time in the morning to day so I visited a muffler shop a friend recommended. Some of the things they recommended was getting this muffler called Twisters (?), one chamber exhaust, and just straight pipes. As mentioned above, I didn't want to have to replace the axlebacks, but it seemed like there really was no other way. Other than the straight pipes, it was gonna cost around 300 and for that money, I would just get Flowmaster Outlaw Series or something and call it a day. Since I had some money to spare, I spent like 90 bucks on straight pipes, with some bigger and nicer tips, 160 total.

Install was quick. It is definitely louder. Unlike my previous axle backs, there's no drone whatsoever. See the reason why I didn't like straight pipes is because of what you'll hear at :14 in this video

But the guy working at the shop said it depends completely on the motor. The sound does remind me of those really loud trucks...but I don't mind it. I am not sure if I will keep it permanently but it's fine for now. One thing I do like very much is that it's not very loud under 2k rpm....but when you go higher and go wide open throttle, it really opens up and it's very throaty. I could make a video and post it here but since there are already vids on youtube, i'll make one if anyone wants to see. Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh okay. I just got why some of you guys might have been confused. The vid was just to show you why I didn't like straight pipes. But on the 5.0, it actually sounds pretty decent. Will upload video when I can.

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
Without touching your cats, your only real options are exhaust cutouts or getting rid of the resonators with new over-axle pipes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts