Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all!

Well I now own a 1979 foxbody that i got a good deal on and plan on having for a while. This past winter and spring I had been looking for a classic mustang, I found many coupes around here, but why would I want a coupe???:sorry The only way i would buy a coupe is if I bought a 1968 and turned it into a California Special clone. Those are the only coupes i ever thought looked good......

Fastbacks are simply to damn expensive now adays! Ones that are all rusted and need endless hours of body work go for $5000!?!?! I'm a 17 year old kid, i just don't have it....

But looking through my CJ pony parts catalog today i realized that all the metal you need to make a coupe into a fastback is there. Of coarse it would take some SERIOUS body work and i doubt it would be worth it to pay somebody to do. But if i just picked away at it while it was sitting in my garage I think i could be worth it in the end, what do you guys think?

BTW this isn't something I'm starting tomorrow. Eventually down the road I think I'll take my engine and tranny out of my 1979 and sell the shell. If I did this I'd start with a 65/66 coupe cause they are the lightest;)

I found this article where this guy did his 1966 66 Mustang Conversion

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
yeah i did read it. i was tired as hell last night and i thought you were saying you wanted to convert your '79 coupe to a hatchback. no need to be rude about it

but cars are expensive dude. you should know that. if you can't afford a fastback, you wont be able to afford to convert a coupe to a fastback. it's that simple. way more money would be involved in getting the tools needed, donor car, parts, and possible fabrication you'd need done. the only way you MIGHT be able to come out cheaper (which i still doubt) is if somebody gave you a coupe and a fastback for free. i still doubt you'd spend less than $10,000 though.

get a job, save up, and buy a fastback if that's what you really have to have.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
after spending all that money on the conversion it is worth nothing in the end if you were ever to sell it

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i here you guys saying,iwould not do it,it isn"t worth it ,and it want be worth anything after finish.i thougt the name of this forum was MODDED mustangs.built351w i say git to cutting.and have a good time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have <3s for coupes, and although I do think this is an interesting idea, if you're going to buy a doner car, why don't you just restore the donor, instead of tearing off the roof and putting it on a coupe, effectively ruining 2 cars?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have <3s for coupes, and although I do think this is an interesting idea, if you're going to buy a doner car, why don't you just restore the donor, instead of tearing off the roof and putting it on a coupe, effectively ruining 2 cars?
Yeah I'm gonna buy a fastback along with a coupe right? cause that makes sense.....

For the second time: I would buy new fastback rear quarter panels, roof and trunk... Then use that on the coupe. I'm not going to ruin an original fastback!?!?!?!

Anyway I'm sorry i just always thought the coupes looked like family cars, the California Special is nice because it has all the Shelby accessories on it. So maybe I could see getting a 1968 coupe and making a CS clone out of it, but other than that I'm all set on coupes....

·
Registered
353 Posts
I didn't think you could buy the roof line anywhere, unless you wanted to buy the whole frame, in which case, you'd be building a 'new' fastback anyway.

Plus the link you posted had a doner car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you're already chopping the hell out of it to do the conversion, why worry about the engine? At this point I question why not just make it how you want (assuming you would want a bigger engine, though modding something that came with a 6 cyclinder would require more serious work, but not more than you are already committed to). Just a thought.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I read on MustangSteve.com forum all the time for their brake swap stuff and tech.
Its a good mature group and have done a lot of cars.
To a person they all hate the repop body sheetmetal and say it doesn't fit without heavy modding

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Kid you obviously have no idea what you'll be bringing yourself into

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kid you obviously have no idea what you'll be bringing yourself into
what do you mean by that? You saying elmer's glue and duct tape won't do the job??

This was just a brainstorm of mine, but to be honest seeing that other guy in the link I posted do it to his 66 makes me think it can be done, not easily and not without knowing what your doing, but IT CAN BE DONE. That guy didn't even have all the after market metal that is available to us because he did it several years back!

I think in a few years I could be ready to take on this challenge. I'm friends with 2 body guys around here one of which has done many show cars. With them checking in on me between steps I'd be fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts