Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having some oil come out of my exhaust on boost. got some advice from a mechanic i know and did a quick "backyard" piston ring check just to see if it was that. from what he tells me im good and its my turbo seals. works for me anyway. ive been looking for turbos online and havent come up with much so my questions are as follows:

1) is stock a internal or external wastegate
2) is a t3/t4 a direct bolt in with no other mods
3) any advice on where to find one

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A turbo rebuild is cheap and somewhat simple. at least as far as i can tell.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
A factory SVO turbo will have an internal wastegate.
A T3 is the factory flange on the SVO
There are many sites like Stinger-performance, fourced four, foureyedpride, and others that have factory 2.3T turbo's listed in their classifieds pretty regularly. Ebay will have them as well, most likely overprice hoping to find a buyer who doesn't know what they are worth. Your best bet will be to look into the sites I referenced and see what they are selling for on 2.3T specific forums.

The rebuild kits are about $50-$75 on Ebay and pretty easy to do. Don't get one that's chinese or has chinese writings on it as the parts are cheap and will most likely fail within a few months. The Chinese kits are around $35.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i mean i found a t3/t4 turbo online and it says it will fit the svo. idk how sure i am on it though. its pretty much a universal one and lists the svo as something it fits with no mods. its pretty cheap as well ($160 including shipping). i mean i have looked up some reviews on it and it has actually got some decent ones so i may try it out and see what happens. here is the link so you guys can look at well.

T3 T04E TURBO TURBOCHARGER FORD MUSTANG T03 | eBay

let me know what u think please

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
$130 for a brand new turbo is cheap, too cheap to be reliable in my opinion. It will most likely fail within a few months, especially if you are not using any kind of blow off or by pass valve.

But it's up to you, risk a chinese built cheap turbo that may or may not last long, or keep searching and try to find someone with a take off T3 from a factory 2.3T ford. Normally a used factory SVO turbo would sell for the price of the brand new chinese versions, and a rebuild kit for the used turbo would provide cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
While I agree that the Chinese have had quality problems in the past, I have seen the gap closing, in many areas of industrial technology.

You’re not going to like what I have to say here, but there are many areas in manufacturing where the Chinese have pulled away from us. As Americans we should be infuriated by our own ineptitude. Just this past year, the U.S. education system ranked 14th in reading, 17th in science and 25th in math amongst the top industrial nations of the world. In my own back yard (figuratively), a new bridge is being constructed across the San Francisco bay. Do you know that there wasn't a single American company capable of building that bridge, so that bridge span is being built by the Chinese? Yes really!

As an engineer, my job is to look solely at analytical data to solve root problems. I have taken several Chinese made turbo’s apart and measured the components for tolerance and even checked a few parts for material quality. The results did not surprise me. I found the materials and tolerances to be spot on. I’m not saying every product coming from China is fault free, but at least the ones I have tested and used on various cars have worked quite well and let's face it, most turbo's don't last very long, no matter who builds them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts