Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
The Dude Abides
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a Cobra Jet intake on a NA Coyote? What kind of gains did you get?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Anyone running a Cobra Jet intake on a NA Coyote? What kind of gains did you get?
Hey 1MeanNonPI2v,

I can't really compare to what the stock intake manifold puts out, but upgrading from the boss 302 to the cobra jet intake we saw a 14.9 HP and 9.9 TQ increase to the wheels on 91 octane, and even more on an E85 tune!

On the Boss intake setup, it had an Accufab TB, AIRAID intake, kooks long tube headers, and an O/R H

On the CJ intake setup, it has a SCJ throttle body, and a ford racing air intake with the same headers and an O/R H

I hope this helps!

- Michael

·
Registered
203 Posts
Show us some track times rather Dyno numbers Mike. I'd be more interested in seeing that.
Hey Scott,

The boss is slowly, but steadily getting things done to it. It's still in the works as far as being race ready. We just finished a full cage setup, and got the CJ intake done. We're now working on getting the dash and necessary interior accessories in and fitted with the new cage. If you'd like to keep tabs on whats going on, I post updates regularly on our social media pages.

Feel free to follow us! Just search Sinister Mustang!

- Michael

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think Shaun is putting a cobra jet on his. When tracks open back up you can more than likely expect to see some track results from him.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Both the CobraJet and the BossIM sacrifice low/mid range torque do keep in mind. So unless you spend a large percentage of your time driving over 6500rpm, or you are trying to set a track record, id say you may like the OEM manifold on the street.

Just what ive read, i personally have no experience with it, so take what i say with a grain of salt....a grain of factual salt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Boss 302 intake and I am thinking about taking it off because of the low end torque loss. Have not tried the Cobra Jet.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Like to see that power curve..

I have a Boss 302 intake and I am thinking about taking it off because of the low end torque loss. Have not tried the Cobra Jet.

If i was like 200 bucks i could understand, but for 500 bucks the Boss IM doesnt make your car any faster, literally, it just satisfies the dyno whores lol

·
Doug
255 Posts
Hey 1MeanNonPI2v,

I can't really compare to what the stock intake manifold puts out, but upgrading from the boss 302 to the cobra jet intake we saw a 14.9 HP and 9.9 TQ increase to the wheels on 91 octane, and even more on an E85 tune!

On the Boss intake setup, it had an Accufab TB, AIRAID intake, kooks long tube headers, and an O/R H

On the CJ intake setup, it has a SCJ throttle body, and a ford racing air intake with the same headers and an O/R H

I hope this helps!

- Michael
Sinister Mustang: Id Love to see the dyno charts on these two setups! Im coming form a stock manifold and have been looking for a good comparison between the BOSS/CJ IM. Id like to see how the lower end actually looks compared to each other. From the way it sounds the TB & CAI changes are basically the only other thing you changed between the two and that is cause it HAS TO be changed.

Looking forward to seeing the charts! Thanks

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
If i was like 200 bucks i could understand, but for 500 bucks the Boss IM doesnt make your car any faster, literally, it just satisfies the dyno whores lol

Sorry man, can't agree with that. Track wise, I trapped faster. In higher da, same mods as stock manifold. On shitty 3.31s. I et .03 slower. But I was also short shifting into 2nd at 6800. Other gears were spun out to 7600.

Imo, boss manifold is faster. But it's not so fun to drive with on 3.31s. Track cars, 3.73s or 3.90s. Street cars, 4.10s. For m6 cars.

Also, how many cars have been in the 10s NA with the boss manifold vs stock manifold? I think shaun at aed was the only one to do it?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Also, stock manifold holds peak power for a few hundred rpm. With my boss setup, i held peak power for 1200 rpm. Quite a big difference. I was down power til 5500 compared to the stock manifold, but the amount of time at the track I'm above 5500 rpm is far more then being under 5500

·
Hi I'm Sean
3,962 Posts
Hey 1MeanNonPI2v,

I hope this helps!

- Michael
I think you guys might need a better tuner these things are usually picking up 20 or 25 more HP than a Boss intake.

As far as times are concerned the one that I can remember was Drew picked up 3MPH with his first time out on his setup with the Cobra Jet and eventually went to 11.0X with the CJ, 3.90 gears, MT82, E85 with the usual lightweight stuff + a CF cowl hood.

505whp. NA
That car was sooooo bad ass! It makes me Jelly thinking of that lope

Like to see that power curve..
I don't want to step on Darren's toes but

The good thing about the Cobra Jet is that you down lose the torque like the Boss manifold and you gain power on the top end. IMO it is a win win for N/A power although it does come in at some expense but fairly close in cost when you compare an all out Boss Intake setup versus the Cobra Jet setup. When you step on the gas the thing pulls like a damn frieght train and even more so compared to the Boss intake manifold.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I personally do not think the CJ is worth 20 - 25 rwhp over a boss manifold. I dynod mine, but I have a pretty beat up axle, should of seen the wheel on the dyno, was bouncing around quote a bit. I know it affected the numbers. How much? Not sure. But I'll say, running 30 psi in my tires, I was down 10-15rwhp. Put 40 psi in them, and the power came back. At that mph they start to distort and it affects the reading.

With the boss manifold, I dynod 442/398. Cj, monoblade and rev auto 5" intake I made 444/390. Yes down 8 ft lb and only 2 hp gain. Again, bent axle could absolutely affect it. It did feel faster on the street. But I cant confirm as I had no track proof.

That's all done now, I sold the cj manifold and tb/cai as I'm changing plans with the car. So will not have any track numbers to confirm.

Would I do it again? Hard to say. I really needed track numbers to see if it was faster.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
I think the CJ setup tends to make the trade for torque MORESO worth it, but its still all about application. For a street car i just dont know how much sense it makes.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Sinister Mustang: Id Love to see the dyno charts on these two setups! Im coming form a stock manifold and have been looking for a good comparison between the BOSS/CJ IM. Id like to see how the lower end actually looks compared to each other. From the way it sounds the TB & CAI changes are basically the only other thing you changed between the two and that is cause it HAS TO be changed.

Looking forward to seeing the charts! Thanks
Dude i didnt know you were a member on here, i always drool over your sig on SVTP, i want 19" CF10s too, your setup is clean.

Sorry man, can't agree with that. Track wise, I trapped faster. In higher da, same mods as stock manifold. On shitty 3.31s. I et .03 slower. But I was also short shifting into 2nd at 6800. Other gears were spun out to 7600.

Imo, boss manifold is faster. But it's not so fun to drive with on 3.31s. Track cars, 3.73s or 3.90s. Street cars, 4.10s. For m6 cars.

Also, how many cars have been in the 10s NA with the boss manifold vs stock manifold? I think shaun at aed was the only one to do it?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Also, stock manifold holds peak power for a few hundred rpm. With my boss setup, i held peak power for 1200 rpm. Quite a big difference. I was down power til 5500 compared to the stock manifold, but the amount of time at the track I'm above 5500 rpm is far more then being under 5500
Peak power being for a few hundred RPM isnt a disadvantage if the stock intake manifold makes more TQ for 3000 RPM lol.

I stand by my original statement, I dont think 20 more whp for a fraction of a second at WOT makes a car faster when your operational torque range, amount and max are all reduced for a longer amount of time. Sure you can pick up a couple MPH at the end of a 1/4 mile drag strip, but thats a poor measurement of how capable a car is, very poor, especially considering your comparison is at 2 different tracks on 2 different days.

I also plainly stated:

Both the CobraJet and the BossIM sacrifice low/mid range torque do keep in mind. So unless you spend a large percentage of your time driving over 6500rpm, or you are trying to set a track record, id say you may like the OEM manifold on the street.

Just what ive read, i personally have no experience with it, so take what i say with a grain of salt....a grain of factual salt.

I never indicated that there wasnt an advantage at the strip- where you are purposely driving your car 10/10ths and keeping the RPM as high as possible for the duration of the run. But on the street or roadcourse where use of a larger RPM range is applicable i dont see the boss IM being an extremely crucial element in creating a faster car.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I think the CJ setup tends to make the trade for torque MORESO worth it, but its still all about application. For a street car i just dont know how much sense it makes.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Dude i didnt know you were a member on here, i always drool over your sig on SVTP, i want 19" CF10s too, your setup is clean.

Peak power being for a few hundred RPM isnt a disadvantage if the stock intake manifold makes more TQ for 3000 RPM lol.

I stand by my original statement, I dont think 20 more whp for a fraction of a second at WOT makes a car faster when your operational torque range, amount and max are all reduced for a longer amount of time. Sure you can pick up a couple MPH at the end of a 1/4 mile drag strip, but thats a poor measurement of how capable a car is, very poor, especially considering your comparison is at 2 different tracks on 2 different days.

I also plainly stated:

I never indicated that there wasnt an advantage at the strip- where you are purposely driving your car 10/10ths and keeping the RPM as high as possible for the duration of the run. But on the street or roadcourse where use of a larger RPM range is applicable i dont see the boss IM being an extremely crucial element in creating a faster car.
3000rpm... when are you at 3000 rpm when racing? You're not. And you mentioned this comment..

Soooo if you're not comparing dyno numbers, what are you comparing? I never compared 2 different tracks, idk where that came from. I simply said I ran faster with the boss manifold in worse da then the stock manifold. "Lol"

Fraction of a second... do you have any experience with the boss manifold? You're literally holding peak power (I was anyways) from 6400-7700. Stock manifold was like 6400-6600.

Same goes for a road course. You're using you're powerband, a lot more so at high rpm. Really, when are you at 3000 rpm? When you're cruising around town? When you're WOT you're not at that rpm. If you are, you're doing it wrong.

The boss was ment for the track. They came with the boss intake with the intentions of it being a road course car. So did ford do it wrong too?

There's been a lot more cars that have gone faster with the boss manifold then the stock manfiold. When you have that sort of proof, and not just one or two unicorns, it's not so hard to believe.

I also "plainly stated", it's not so fun on 3.31s. It needs gear.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts