Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone here has done a coyote swap, but i am curious as to what is involved in doing one.

If you have had a shop do the swap for you, about how much did it run? ( if you dont wanna post it i am open to Pm's)

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on how complete you want it to be.

You'll need a k-member to hold the motor
You'll need the headers to fit in the car
You'll need a computer to run it. Maybe not the Ford one, but a computer. (AEM and Holley will supposedly work with the variable cam setup)

Those are probably the major components. You'll have to decide on what else you want to change:

You'll need a Hydroboost swap if you want power brakes
You'll need a power steering pump if you want power steering (the coyote's are electric steering, IIRC)
You'll need to somehow adapt for A/C (if you want it)

If you picked up a motor out of an F-150, you'll probably want the Mustang cams and intake manifold.
Also, the F-150 motors are a lower compression ratio (11 vs. 9.5, IIRC)

It starts to add up pretty quick.

·
The Dude Abides
1,471 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on how complete you want it to be.

You'll need a k-member to hold the motor
You'll need the headers to fit in the car
You'll need a computer to run it. Maybe not the Ford one, but a computer. (AEM and Holley will supposedly work with the variable cam setup)

Those are probably the major components. You'll have to decide on what else you want to change:

You'll need a Hydroboost swap if you want power brakes
You'll need a power steering pump if you want power steering (the coyote's are electric steering, IIRC)
You'll need to somehow adapt for A/C (if you want it)

If you picked up a motor out of an F-150, you'll probably want the Mustang cams and intake manifold.
Also, the F-150 motors are a lower compression ratio (11 vs. 9.5, IIRC)

It starts to add up pretty quick.
Power by The hour makes an accessory bracket kit that allows you to bolt up AC, power steering and alternator from 1996-2010 modular engine to a coyote engine.

I priced out everything to do a swap on my car, it comes out to around $10k. But I also have high standards for things like headers and fuel system. There are more budget friendly components out there if you are pinching pennies.

Don't forget you will need a way to mount the drive by wire throttle pedal, LMR has you covered there. You will also need radiator hoses as the stock ones from 96-04 cars won't work (to my knowledge). LMR offer a lower hose that is direct fit. If you are swapping a coyote into a 99-04 car you will need to convert to a return fuel system if you use the FRPP controls pack.

The stock coyote oil pan won't work either, you can go aftermarket or modify a stock 1996-2010 pan.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of money for 435 hp.
I can agree with that, I'm not thinking about doing it any time soon, but if the engine blows, it's gonna need a new one anyhow. May just spend more money for a newer engine type. Still doing research tho

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Like fox said, it's a lot of money for 435hp

I've been looking into it quite a bit and staying with your basic sbf is really the way to go weather it be a 302 or 351.

Heck you can even build a sbf and supercharge it for cheaper then a coyote swap.

Still a very cool idea but for myself I'm waiting for the prices to drop just like they did for LS swaps

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,951 Posts
I am in the middle of doing two of these swaps. I have gotten two under my belt already with our two fox coupe race cars. Current projects are a 98 GT and a 92 LX hatch. 98 is no power steering, brakes or a/c, while the fox is using power by the hour brackets for a/c and p/s and using the 11 up alternator to work with the controls pack. We also put the hydroboost on for power brakes. It will have a quicktime bell and T5Z trans. 98 has a TKO 500 with a quicktime bell as well.
Expensive swap, but it's very cool to be the first on your block with one. Been a long time since something different has come along for the fox and sn markets to do that hasn't been done a million times before. jmho.

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
@nxcoupe

Curious, what k-member are you running? Are you/can you run a stock hood with the Coyote?

I'm at a crossroads. I've got a mostly machined 351 block that I was planning to stroke out. Or I could do a Dart 363 to keep the stock hood. Or I could go modular. Or an LS. Or.......?

I hate being an engine guy. Every day I get new ideas :D

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,951 Posts
@nxcoupe

Curious, what k-member are you running? Are you/can you run a stock hood with the Coyote?

I'm at a crossroads. I've got a mostly machined 351 block that I was planning to stroke out. Or I could do a Dart 363 to keep the stock hood. Or I could go modular. Or an LS. Or.......?

I hate being an engine guy. Every day I get new ideas :D
We currently have a stock 4.6 Kmember out of an 01 in it. You have to elongate the rear four holes so they line up with the fox rear kmember bolt holes.
We have a cowl hood(or cow hood on facebook) on ours right now, but I should be able to snap a few shots that would show if a stocker would fit or not. I'm thinking it would. I build engines for a living as well, I always have a dozen projects I'd like to do and rarely get to do anything but collect parts. This year I'm devoted to changing that, so I'm working on my stuff. I've got my 2.3L turbo stang coupe running now, and just need to tune it and it'll be drivable. So that's one project down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts