Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So driving home today I got on it and once I let off, the light for "check engine coolant" or w/e came on...I was about a minute from my house so I made it to the driveway ok. The car felt fine, but when I got out I saw smoke coming out from the grill, so I popped it open and there was coolant everywhere.

I let it cool off for a couple hours then had someone start it up while I looked at it and there was a bunch of water/coolant spewing out from the bottom of the manifold.

So it looks like I'll be replacing this. AM sells it for $170. I was gonna try and do this myself. I'm only 19 and not to experienced with stuff yet.

If anybody has done this before or has some good advice to share it would be much appreciated! AM has a pretty good write up for it but let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
super duper easy. Just take off your plenum/TB and all vac lines and CAI or stock air intake. Remove the radiator hose and heater core hose in the rear of the manifold. Unbolt the manifold and it will pull out. I have luck taking the alternator off because the EGR will be in the way if you try to lift it straight up. Take a paint scraper and scrape all the old crud of of where your NEW intake manifold gaskets will go and reverse the steps for install. Remember to blow of all the dirt from your motor before working to prevent dirt falling down into the intake ports.

·
Registered
662 Posts
yep been there done that i bought the Professional Products Typhoon Power+ Intake Manifold with 75mm throttle body and plenum. It ROCKS but i blew 1 of those and they sent me a better one lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
^^^ exactly.. its simple if you have common sense

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet guys, thanks a bunch

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Bit of advice here.

Once you remove the intake manifold, tightly ball up one of the red cloth shop towels and stuff it down each intake port on the heads. That way you don't drop anything in there and not realize it. It also helps with cleaning the head surface to remove the gasket material. Once you're ready to install the new manifold, use a shop vacuum and remove the red cloth while you hold the vacuum hose there and once the cloth is removed vacuum out each intake port on the head.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bit of advice here.

Once you remove the intake manifold, tightly ball up one of the red cloth shop towels and stuff it down each intake port on the heads. That way you don't drop anything in there and not realize it. It also helps with cleaning the head surface to remove the gasket material. Once you're ready to install the new manifold, use a shop vacuum and remove the red cloth while you hold the vacuum hose there and once the cloth is removed vacuum out each intake port on the head.
Thanks I forgot that! Or double up and have a shop vac in one hand and the scraper in the other and just hold the vac hose over the scraper so it sucks the debris right up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's an easy swap, just take your time and be clean.

I did mine last month and it turned out well, with a little rtv solving a leak at the t-stat housing.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine has a small crack in it but it isn't leaking yet .I've already got a new intake for it just waiting a few more days till I swap my cams in. Gonna swap intakes at the same time. But don't forget the little tool if u wanna remove you're fuel rails completely so there not in the way.

·
Registered
662 Posts

You can make your own little fuel line cupler removal tool using a piece of plastic 3/8 bathroom tubing. Works exactly the same

1 - 14 of 14 Posts