Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently peeled the vinyl off of my wheels onto to reveal the horrible cracking clear coat I covered up. Got tired of the black, but the cracking coat is killing me...any ideas on how to remove the clear off of the wheel? I have 18 in bullit wheels. Only part that is cracking is the polished lip.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
lol always a thread by sonic to explain things.

This is just a theory but listen, if you wetsanded the clear off of just your lip, you may be able to polish the bare metal to look good again, then use a paint sealant or wheel armor to seal the metal, it would take some work but probably cost less than getting them repainted.

Just a theory, im not sure how clear coats on metals work, lol. I rock the Chromies baby.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen some people use a airplane grade paint remover on just the lip which makes the clear coat release and supposedly you just wipe it off....I'm skeptical though

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
I have seen some people use a airplane grade paint remover on just the lip which makes the clear coat release and supposedly you just wipe it off....I'm skeptical though
****in try it, what do you have to loose? lol, its not gonna look worse, just tape off the spokes really well before you do it.

Hell it may look better to be honest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha alright man....I was thinking of doing black spokes with a yellow lip, but a guy photoshoped that for me, and it didnt look to great......

so the paint remover will be tried very soon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I have deep dish wheels...the only wheels even messing up and cracking are the rear ones...I guess too much wear or water just sat on the wheel...the car didnt get drove much at all before I got it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts