Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
03 gt cranks but will not start. I can smell un burnt fuel coming out of the exhaust and it won't run on starter fluid so I'm guessing its ignition related. If I let it sit for awhile it'll try to start for a moment but then just crank. Seems like a pats issue, but its strange to me it just suddenly stopped starting like this. Would get a new key made but I would have to have the car towed to the nearest ford dealer and they want $150 to do it.
What else could it be? Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Check all fuses interior and exterior. If it was pats the injector pulse would be cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All fuses are good. Think a cam or crank position sensor could be the problem?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Crank position sensor does pull ignition but I thought it also stops the injectors from spraying. Did you scan it for codes? If it is the crank sensor it’ll throw a code immediately. A cam position sensor would result in waste spark so it would still fire.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn. No codes. I have no clue what it could be. Guess I'll pull the plugs and check for spark. It will occasionally stumble and try to start for a second.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Have you tried starting it with the gas pedal all the way to the floor? Pull the vacuum line going to the frps and check for fuel too.

·
BoostedGT
136 Posts
Yeah x2 I would try to put it to the floor and start it see what that does that should be a flood override if you can get it started from there then I would check plugs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried starting again. This time it didn't even try at all. I held the gas pedal to the floor and disconnected the vacuum line goint to the frps (on top of the fuel rail right?). Nothing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got a damn code. I did the thing where you hold down the trip reset button and turn the ignition on to check fuel pressure and it was reading 85lbs after sitting for several hours. Pulled the codes and got p0190, bad pressure sensor. Which according to the internet will prevent it from starting. The vacuum line going to it smelled like gas which I guess is also a sign its bad. Tomorrow ill replace it and either be very happy or selling an 03 gt lol

Reactions: 07gtS197

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Once you get the new one on there I would suggest pulling and drying the plugs like he suggested or else it’ll take even longer to start. There’s probably raw gas the the cylinders and the exhaust, it’ll take some time to clear it out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, after replacing the frps it ran for about 5 seconds on what sounded like 4 cylinders before it died. Threw another code, p0118. Coolant temp sensor. Its getting 4.6 volts, which I believe is what it should be so I guess that sensor is bad as well. Im really getting frustrated at this. Its been so long since I was able to drive this car, and after sorting through problem after problem and finally getting everything fixed it decides to just not start anymore :(

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So pulled plugs, has good spark. Added some gas hoping it was something stupid like that but it didn't help. It runs on starting fluid. I think the can I was using before was just bad, it was really old. Fuel pump is priming when I turn the key.

Edit: What I assume is the built in pressure sensor says this:
I looked at my buddy's in his 04 gt and its reading around 90, even while running. I also noticed my fuel guage doesn't work.

If it was ran out of gas, how long would it take to start afterwards? Could this be reading high from all the attempts to start it without gas? Last time I drove it, it stumbled and died right before I parked it. I thought it was because I was having alternator issues (which turned out to be me putting the hot coming from the alternator to ground instead of to the fuse box.. it looked like a ground to me haha..) and the battery had died.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately my car doesn't have a valve on the fuel rail, so I removed the frps and primed the car a couple times. I dont see any fuel in the fuel rail and I would expect it to shoot out of the little hole it leaves when removed, but nothing.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Sounds like maybe a dead pump. Test for 12v at the pump. Any codes? No blown fuses? Does it do anything when you tap the fuel pump relay? Does your odometer work or is it dashes?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally found the problem. Has to be the most stupid issue I've ever ran into:

How does this even happen?! Anyway, time to make a new post on a different issue it has now haha. Be sure to check it out

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Video doesn’t work but I’m glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Video doesn’t work but I’m glad you figured it out.

Its supposed to just be a pic showing the fuel line popped off of the pump

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Ah gotcha, it says unsupported video on tapatalk. Anyway yeah after your last post I thought that but you figured it out before I posted lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts