Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically this one is strange, i figured the noise i would hear was a bad pully bearing or something , thats what it sounds like. but the sound is coming FROM the crank shaft on the front. Not too sure what that could possibly be.

Specs are in my sig. To time the motor i used the TFS crank sprockets.
engine runs fine in my opinion but this sound has been present for some time , probably over 10k miles . Nothing looks abnormal but it is very audible.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Remove the accessory drive belt. Crank the engine and let it idle briefly. Is the sound gone? If it is your noise is coming from one of the accessories. If the sound is still present the sound is inside the engine, likely behind the timing cover.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not from the belt. i reduced that already . the sound is the loudest from by the crank bolt. just not sure what a metallic sound like that could be. it sounds exactly like a bad belt pulley...except that its not. its from the engine.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Could be a timing chain or oil pump problem. If it is significant you'll to pull the front cover...

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I'd pull the front cover off. Wanna be careful because that could wipe out your oil pump, and the motor will be trashed.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its strange thing thats for sure. i know i will have to pull it . but i want to know or at least figure when it might be so i can have the part before i rip it apart lol. The sound it metalic like a clanking . it is cammed. What exactly would make a clanking noise in that area.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thinking things over. would it be possible that the harmonic balancer is what is not tightened down all the way . Causing that timing plate behind it to rattle some ?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
??

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
If the balancer isnt tightened down properly you could be getting rattle from your reluctor wheel. If its wobbled around enough it might actually be damaged.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what i was thinking . Is their a proper way to tighten that down without being scared that i will strip the bolt. And so that I am not turning the motor over instead of pressing the balancer on more.

Do they make a damper that goes on smoother possibly ?

I know these are some crazy questions , but I am being so specific since its my DD so i have to plan far in advance to do work to it so its running for my daily commutes .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts