Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so I pulled out onto a highway today adn didnt notice a car coming up fast behind me. I floored it since I was already out thereand really couldnt pull off out of his way, when I grabbed second, somehow I didnt get it in gear and proceeded to floor it in neutral. I "think" I saw my tach go north of 7K....

Im worried now because when Im at very light load with just a little bit of throttle pressure I hear a ticking sound in the front. at idle it is not there, and at normal cruising it isnt there. think driving gently through a parking garage at 10 MPH, thats when I hear it... normal Idle adn driving under power seem normal, no noise, loss of power, vibrations, fluid leaks... just the light load light throttle tapping...

I have no idea what it is. At idle with my hood up if I manually move the throttle on the throttle body no ticking, just only shows up when im driving under light load.

Any ideas guys? I have read on various forums that the tensioner might be suspect... My car has over 140K on it. i bought it with 65K and since I have had it I never have changed the belt or tensioner... thinking I might do that and see if it helps, I mean a new belt cant hurt right? :)

But what else should I check into? and how do I check it?

Oh, guess I should add, its an 02 GT, stock motor with CAI and flow 40 weld ins...

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
How did it go that high? Do you have a tuner with the rev set pretty high?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yeah the rev limiter would have kicked in way before then. A new belt would not hurt though you are correct.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Was there plenty of oil in it when it happened? When I was stock I bounced it off the rev at least 20 times revveing at other cars and done it a few times after my cams which the tach bounces around 6,800-7,200rpms and my car runs great.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Maybe it just needs fresh oil. My brother noticed a ticking noise a few weeks ago and it turned out to be an exhaust leak but I cant hardly hear it with all the noise my car makes. I don't know man when I have problems with my car I take it to my ASE certified tech. I buy the part and use his shop to work on my car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not to try to scare you but that happened to me when I just bought the car and didnt realize it was low on oil (stupid) and spun a rod bearing. I put a video on YouTube so you can check if it sounds the same just in case.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Even if you did over rev it, Ive done that plenty of times in my car. With boost, Ive gone from the top of 3rd to 2nd like 3 or 4 times (retard) which made the rear wheels lock up, Ive mis shifted, etc.... Never a problem. Your problem just being over paranoid. Mustangs are noisy cars anyways. Then when you think you hear something, its a lot worse.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have a "tick" in my car to... I jsut put on a p1sc and lt headers. I can only hear the tick when im listening like below the doors. When im in the motor bay i cant hear it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no tuner. thing is stock. plenty of oil, but Ill go out and check that in a couple mins. I do know that the tick Im hearing is loud and I never heard it before I did this.

and Im sure I am being paranoid... My wife is constantly accusing me of loving my car more than her...

Thanks for the responses guys.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I have a "tick" in my car to... I jsut put on a p1sc and lt headers. I can only hear the tick when im listening like below the doors. When im in the motor bay i cant hear it. Any ideas?
If its a 5 speed its the throw out bearing. It could be an exhaust leak too.

no tuner. thing is stock. plenty of oil, but Ill go out and check that in a couple mins. I do know that the tick Im hearing is loud and I never heard it before I did this.

and Im sure I am being paranoid... My wife is constantly accusing me of loving my car more than her...

Thanks for the responses guys.
Usually rod bearings get louder as the RPM's go up. Your saying you hearing it low rpm's, could be a valve

Reactions: jonnyspeed

·
Registered
2018 Mustang GT Manual
1,592 Posts
I over revved my 04 doing the same thing. I shifted from 5th to 2nd instead of 4th and wound up spinning a main bearing. It ticked for a few miles then it just broke.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Damn that sucks! I should feel luck that Ive gone from 3rd to 2nd like 3-4 times and no issues.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Press in the clutch, if the noise is gone, its the TOB. Its probally an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold flange if you did a midpipe on it.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Do you have longtubes or shortys? I called them exhaust manifolds if its stock, because thats what they are.

If its not sealed properly itll sound like a ticking noise.

And idk man, because the GT's engine bay is loud enough. Do you have a blower on? That would also make it a lot harder to hear.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Okay well, you could have a leak at the header and midpipe connection, or a leak at the exhaust ports.

But try stepping on the clutch and see if the noise goes away, if yes, then its the TOB, if not, most likley an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I would think rich would mean you have an exhaust leak, but I could be wrong, best bet is to get under there and check it. If you cant find anything, put the car on ramps, shove a bunch of rags in the mufflers, start the car up and see if you can see exhaust gasses coming from anywhere but the tips.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts