Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I got all excited, kids were gona be gone all day today, good weather, so its time to put my Off Road H on. get out there under the car, and pull all the bolts out of the stock one. (not to much trouble, just had to use a breaker bar on the passenger side) then could NOT get the stock H to drop off the car. ended up cutting it just behind the rear O2's, thinking if I absolutly have to I can get an adapter to put them back together...

I fight to get the new H in, it is a two piece so juggling it between the header bolts and then fighting to get the rear ball and sockets together while lining up the two halvs of the H was interesting to say the least.

and that is when I hit my first reall issue... I forgot to go pick up my new gasket for the passengers side. I ordered it, and paid for it... Jus forgot to run and pick it up this morning... ok cant drive with just headers.... so Im gonna put this sucker on for now and deal with it later.

its now on and I fire up the car... wow, nice leak from the drivers side header coupling... ball and socket NOT workig out for me. Funny thing is the passenger side with the old gasket is sealed! WTF! So now Im debating what to do. I dont want to put a breaker bar on the nuts and risk over tightening them and snapping something, so Im debating drivig it down to the local auto store and getting a 2.5 inch coupling and cutting the new pipes to make them 4 pieces. hen I can line up the header easier I think...

any advice? Tonight I have to drive to work in DC, 98 miles one way... might be driving with an exhaust leak.....

Grrrrrrr.... I love it when a simple project turns into an ordeal....

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
My O/R H had a little flange that dropped into the driver's side pipe, creating a good seal. If you have this part and didn't know it, now would be a good time to get under there and trying it out.

What brand is it?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
My studs on the drivers side weren't short enough so it didn't pull the 2 pieces together. I finally gave up with the gaskets and took it to a muffler shop and had them weld it for $50 lol

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it got sorted out... guess I just needed to step away for a min or two, drink a glass of sweet tea and think. I loosened the two nuts on the drivers side and shook the pipe a bit. letting it re-seat itself into the ball and socket with just a little preasure from the nuts. suddenly I had more play in the nuts than I did meaning that the pipe was seated better. worked the nuts together 2 turns on tis one, two on that one untill it was tight and even. now it is nice and sealed up. double checked everything and it is all good.

Later I am going to go back under it and loosen teh nuts at the other end and put a jack under them to raise the pipe a bit more, I dont like how low it is hanging, but Im tired of wrenching... that an my kids shoulld be home soon so I gots to stop or they will tell mommy tonight that I got a new part for my car! :) I live with a 5 and 8 year old snitch!

as to what brand the H is? I have no clue. got it for 20 bucks off Ebay with 17 buck shipping. couldnt pass that up. only thing on it is a little metal plate welded to it that says "for off road use only". no brand, no stamps, nothing... Here is the auction... clickey!!

took it for a short spin, and MY GOD this thing screams now! Loving the sound with my Flow 40's. still drones a bit inside the cabin, but oh well. eventually I am gonna loose the flows adn go with either Borla or Magnaflows... But that is a while away still. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts