Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I noticed a noise coming from my front end that sounds like its coming from the drivers side. This only happens when the wheels are pointed straight. When the steering wheel is turned slowly to the right, the creaking begins and soon after a few popping sounds occur. The popping happens right about when the wheels begin to move and after a few pops the noise stops.

You can feel it happening if you hold either outer tie rod in your hand and have someone else turn the steering wheel. It also happens with the car on or off, so I don't think it is power steering related. Is there a bushing in the steering rack or steering shaft that commonly gets worn out? Car has 65k on it.

On Sunday I installed new swaybar bushings and shortened sway bar endlinks and the car has been driven about 130 miles since. I doubled checked those parts and they are torqued down and installed properly.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

I have found a TSB that replaces the sleeves within the steering rack that cause a noise like the one I am describing. I have also read that this is really only a temporary fix and that a permanent fix is to install solid aluminium rack bushings. Has anyone installed these?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Could be strut mount.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think its coming from the the strut mounts. I have MM CC plates and dont see how they could make such a noise. I am going to try out these solid steering rack bushings and see if they solve the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts