Modded Mustang Forums banner

crown vic engines....

10595 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Blitz34
A couple of the local salvage yards have ALOT of crown vics. Some with bad motors. But what years would be good for a romeo/windsor cast block with an 8 bolt crank if any? I want to buy a rotating assembly minus the crank. What year crown vics will allow me to use the block and crank for my build?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Baker, I know this must be a nooooob question...but what is the difference between the crown vic block that you are speaking of, and our stock block? I know that the PI heads were on the newer vic's as well, but I thought they shared the same block that we use too?
I have a friend with a rown vic engine, and I want to say that they are more or less the same. Im sure there are minor differences but I think you should be okay.

btw, hows the house? are you floating on your couch yet?
its good man... water got up into the backyard but SOMEHOW stopped before getting in the house. they SAY we are in the clear now so i moved back in today. Water is still up to the sandbags but they say it is SLOWLY falling. So i assume it should be aight.

I just want the crown vic to have the 8 bolt crank.
Then you prolly wanna look into similar years that made the windsor? 99-00 right? Or did the crowns have different dates they used the windsor?
lol... thats what im trying to figure out.
In this case, I'd holla for the reverend, or sweet. they always seem to find a way to pull random info out of nowhere when needed. :lol

i can see what I can find out though.
how much is an engine?
its good man... water got up into the backyard but SOMEHOW stopped before getting in the house. they SAY we are in the clear now so i moved back in today. Water is still up to the sandbags but they say it is SLOWLY falling. So i assume it should be aight.

I just want the crown vic to have the 8 bolt crank.
I have a couple of questions if u dont mind...

y is the 8 bolt better? and how can i know if my 00 GT has a Romeo or Windsor?
I have a couple of questions if u dont mind...

y is the 8 bolt better? and how can i know if my 00 GT has a Romeo or Windsor?
8 bolt crak is forged. an to tell between windsor and romeo. count your valve cover bolts. 11 bolt is romeo 13 bolt is windsor
you read my mind baker...im lookin at a motor out of an 01 vic as we speak lol if all goes well im either gonna pick it up complete top to bottom or a guy on a local forum I belong to has a brand new FRPP bare block for sale..I might grab that lol
8 bolt crak is forged. an to tell between windsor and romeo. count your valve cover bolts. 11 bolt is romeo 13 bolt is windsor
FYI: Not all 8 bolt cranks are forged.

And +1 on the VC bolts.
6 bolt=Romeo and 8 bolt=Windsor
The most common cranks for 4.6L engines are the nodular cast iron units.

They come in both 6 & 8 bolt flywheel configurations.

The 2-valve Windsor engines use both a 6 & 8 bolt flywheel, the Romeo engines use 6.

The only factory forged cranks available for the 4.6L DOHC engines are installed in the Cobra.
(These cranks are manufactured by Gertach in Germany for Ford)

The cranks in the 5.4L DOHC and SOHC engines are also available in cast or forged.

Most of the cranks are forged, but not all.

The only way to know for certain is to look at the parting line.

Thick line for forged, thin line for cast.

Note:Just because a crank has 8 bolts does not mean that it is forged.
See less See more
so what year vics can i go with then?
i am good friends with a couple of the salvage yard owners so as long as i kno wut years i can go with im sure i can find one for maybe nothing.
From crownvic.net

W code 4.6 question - Crownvic.net

W = Gasoline

9 = Compressed natural gas

V is the Marauder code

ALL modular engine equipped panthers, which includes 1992 to current Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Car ('91 as well), and Mercury Marauder (03/04) used Romeo Engine Plant (REP, engine code sticker on RH valve cover also has REP designation) assembled 4.6l engines.

The other engine option is/was the Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) version.

As for Romeo vs Windsor, provided you are comparing the same engine configuration performance is the same. The differences are mostly internal, like the number or location of mounting screws, bosses, etc.
For the modular engine family, the Windsor Assembly Plant assembles the truck engines and for select years/models some passenger car applications (ie 1999-2000 Mustang GT)

Romeo's "Niche" line produces the high-performance SVT modular engines, like those found in Cobras and Shelby Mustangs.
good question. I don't really have the answer. I'd say go out there and check the bolts on the valve covers and find yourself a romeo. :dunno
yeah that sounds good. I think ill try and do that tomorrow. My stage II heads are livernois also. But then what about the 8 bolt crank that i need?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.