Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Got back of from (what use to be) a good day from work, only to curb my rim leaving the parking lot...Some a**hole that thought they had the right of way decided to almost run me over, and in the commotion I ended up jumping a curb... The rim isn't destroyed, it just doesn't look very pretty anymore.

Right now I figure "**** happens", not much I can do about that... but I'm wondering what I can do to save my rim. I think some sanding along the side with a little putty will fix it up like new, but its a chromed rim, any advice?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Any pics of the rims? I have curbed mine a few times, not bad but enough that it didn't look to good. I steel brushed mine to get the shape parts off and then painted over them. It's the one great thing about having black rims.

You could grind it smooth and then sand/blast the whole rim clean ad get a chrome wheel spray and redo the rim. I don't know about using putty on a rim. Just get your wheels balanced after you get them fixed.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
ehh you'll have to get it rechromed and from what i've seen others post that costs as much as just buying a new one. I had a set of bullitts that had bad curb damage i got off of a friend for $100 with newer tires. I took a file and reshaped them, then sanded them to match the finish of the rims.

·
Registered
194 Posts
see if there is a wheel repair company nearby... at work we use a company called Turbax to repair our wheels... (Not 100% sure if they do chrome....) they offer a lifetime warranty on the refinish... cost appx 100.00 / rim

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys I really appreciate all the advice.

After a second look and a good nights sleep it doesn't seem as bad as I remembered, but it still doesn't look very good...

I cant really afford to have it professionally re-chromed right now, and I'd much rather just replace the rims with better ones. I'm thinking of trying to smooth it out like BlackedOut suggests, and maybe just try to paint over the whole rim. Just about all of my rims have curb marks on them from the day I bought it, but this takes the cake...

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys I really appreciate all the advice.

After a second look and a good nights sleep it doesn't seem as bad as I remembered, but it still doesn't look very good...

I cant really afford to have it professionally re-chromed right now, and I'd much rather just replace the rims with better ones. I'm thinking of trying to smooth it out like BlackedOut suggests, and maybe just try to paint over the whole rim. Just about all of my rims have curb marks on them from the day I bought it, but this takes the cake...
I did the same thing to the rims on my Kia Sportage earlier this year. The rim repair is the best bet. Grid it down smooth and maybe epoxy it over. Itll roll of the eye easier. Is that a Ford stock chrome rim or after market? Sometimes you can dig up 1 rim sellers on craigslist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts