Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to get a custom exhaust made for my car? I have Flowmaster Super 44s that I need to get matched up to 2.5" piping and installed. I have gone to several muffler shops in my area (Laurel MD) and no one seems to be able to help me. One shop could probably do it, but they only weld, they cannot make the ball and socket joint needed at the midpipe. Another shop wanted to charge me $300 to bend (not mandrel) the pipes and custom fit.

I'm thinking there has to be a shop in my area that has done many of these installs, and can just give me a fair price and install mandrel bent pipes with a nice chrome 3" or 3.5" tip. This shouldn't be this complicated. Sorry, I'm getting very frustrated. :mad:

If this has been covered in another thread, appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. I searched and couldn't find anything that matched my situation. Sorry if this is a duplicate of another thread out there.

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Not sure about your area, but around here, custom bending exhaust has kinda become a lost art. Everyone wants to install the pre-bent stuff and charge out the wazoo if they actually have to fab something. I seriously doubt there is even a mandrel bender in the area. If they bend pipe at all, it's with a common crush bender. When I was a kid (in the 70's), every corner gas station had an old guy that would custom bend anything you wanted. You could get dual exhaust installed on your pickup from the manifolds to the tailpipes for $99. I think a lot has to do with the new stuff being stainless, having emissions crap, plastic gas tanks, government regulations, etc.. If you have an old classic car or truck it may be different.
My only suggestion is to do what I did, join the party and just buy a pre-bent system, then pay someone to install it or do it yourself. I looked until I found a mirror polished T304SS system on close-out for $299. You may also try the house brand stuff from Summit Racing. Last option is to just have the Super 44's welded in the stock system. It's not 2.5" mandrel, but it's not near as bad as the older Fox body cars and would be fine for a mild bolt-on car. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
wow, your shops suck. I had a custom exhaust put on my bimmer for $100...The bending they had to do was pretty complex too and it was all mandrel bends.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Drive down to Saint Augustine FL and go to Rick's Muffler shop an US1. They can do all the forming of the ball and socket, the bends will not be mandrel bent but they know their stuff and will not make any bends that appreciably affect the tube ID. They hooked my MagnaFlows up to the X-pipe and tailpipes for $50 in less than 30 minutes.

Kidding aside, although Florida is nice this time of year, what you are seeking "mandrel bent pipes with a nice chrome 3" or 3.5" tip." is going to be a $250 to $400+ job if you can find a custom exhaust shop with a mandrel bender.

Mandrel benders, even at the low-end, are $35k to $70k; as compared to the typical bending tools which are $5k to $8k. That's why most muffler shops don't have them, and why shop's that do can be pricey...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last option is to just have the Super 44's welded in the stock system. It's not 2.5" mandrel, but it's not near as bad as the older Fox body cars and would be fine for a mild bolt-on car.
You know blkfordsedan, I think this may be the best advice I could have asked for. I wasn't sure if I was robbing my engine of power if I stuck with the stock pipes, but it sounds like it's a none issue for my setup. Appreciate that VERY much. You may have saved me $300+ bucks that I don't have to spend on this car!:bow

wow, your shops suck
You are sooooo right!!! I need to find a good one that knows Mustangs.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Theres a mandrel bending shop down the road from me.

Im 30 minutes north of you.

Theres no need to have a completely redone exhaust system from the headers back to fit some mufflers. 300 or so is cheap as **** for that man.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Sharkbait, what's the name of the place? I would at least like to see how much they would charge to custom bend from the X-Pipe back. Just for kicks and giggles.

Are they very familiar with Mustangs? One thing that has irritated me is everyone of the shops says they need to take a look at it to give me a price. I may be mistaken, but it seems to me all 99 - 2004 mustang GTs would have a very similar exhaust configuration from the midpipe back. I'm not asking for side exits or anything out of the ordinary. Am I crazy for thinking of it this way?

Thanks, by the way!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

Im 30 minutes north of you.

Theres no need to have a completely redone exhaust system from the headers back to fit some mufflers. 300 or so is cheap as **** for that man.
Yeah go to Mandrel Bending, they did my intercooler piping. It's looks really good, Laurel doesn't have many worthwhile exhaust shops.

edit- Here's there website.

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/StoreFront

·
Registered
730 Posts
Drive down to Saint Augustine FL and go to Rick's Muffler shop an US1. They can do all the forming of the ball and socket, the bends will not be mandrel bent but they know their stuff and will not make any bends that appreciably affect the tube ID. They hooked my MagnaFlows up to the X-pipe and tailpipes for $50 in less than 30 minutes.

Kidding aside, although Florida is nice this time of year, what you are seeking "mandrel bent pipes with a nice chrome 3" or 3.5" tip." is going to be a $250 to $400+ job if you can find a custom exhaust shop with a mandrel bender.

Mandrel benders, even at the low-end, are $35k to $70k; as compared to the typical bending tools which are $5k to $8k. That's why most muffler shops don't have them, and why shop's that do can be pricey...
They must of changed their pricing because they used to charge way to much for anything, though this was like 2-3 years ago when I wanted something done there.

I prefer driving to Jacksonville, FL, theres a place called Rainbow Muffler on Phillips highway. He is the best at custom exhaust, whatever you need. On my last mustang I had mac longtubes, h pipe, and mac catback all put on for $450.

I have had a bunch of other work done there and I couldnt be more pleased with their work and pricing.

·
Registered
929 Posts
You know blkfordsedan, I think this may be the best advice I could have asked for. I wasn't sure if I was robbing my engine of power if I stuck with the stock pipes, but it sounds like it's a none issue for my setup. Appreciate that VERY much. You may have saved me $300+ bucks that I don't have to spend on this car!:bow
Yes, you are....but not much if your car is stock or very close to it. The factory system will never flow as well as a 2.5" mandrel system and they choke down where they go over the rear axle. When I installed my cat-back, I didn't really notice much power increase, but the engine definately pulled better from 5000+. The 4-cat mid-pipe is the big hang-up in our systems. Weld the Super-44's in and spend the $300 you save on a good O/R midpipe. It should flow as well or better than a 2.5" cat-back with the factory mid-pipe. This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got it all put together. Put in an o/r X and had a guy weld on the super 44's and it sounds AWESOME! Thanks again BlkFordSedan!

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Why are you getting custom tubing bent? Is yours rusted out or something? 2.5" tubing isn't going to do squat for your hp over 2.25"

If I were you I'd just get the Flows welded into the factory piping and have some nice tips welded on. It's going to sound and perform like a flowmaster catback but it'll just be cheaper. The downfall is that it wouldn't be stainless steel, but it doesn't sound like you were getting stainless with your custom bent setup anyway

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Decided not to go with 2.5" mandrel bent pipes. Had the Super 44s welded to the stock piping. Your right it sounds great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts