Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those wondering about my custom gauge panel, I will be picking it up tomorrow see'ing I am off for the next three days. I will find someone that will drill the 3-3/8's holes in and I can finish up with the small holes. I will post mock up pics and the install pics of it I have a few questions to ask.

1. Which wire is the signal wire for the "Check Engine" light? I will be using a tiny light that will turn on in place of the old light on my stock cluster.

2. Which wire is a switched 12v ignition?
3. What wire is the "dimmer" for the lights( I might 12v swtich them anyways but would like to know)

Almost done guys, just trying to make it a smooth setup for me when I do the install.

4. For my A/F Ratio gauge, from the engine bay, which wires from the O2 sensor is the signal wire?
5. Which wires are for my headlights so I can toggle those as well
6. Which wire is the tach wire?... The Solid Green/Yellow stripe?
7. Which wire is the fuel level signal

That's it, I will be able to toggle the hazards and rear defrost. Also very sorry for asking do many damn questions but I am just trying to prevent from having a 1 day project turn into 2-3 days of splicing and cutting, drilling and removing and converting and trashing.

If I can hit all the wires from up front, that'll help. I you can help with all or whatever, I really need 1 and 6 answered.

·
Registered
975 Posts
For those wondering about my custom gauge panel, I will be picking it up tomorrow see'ing I am off for the next three days. I will find someone that will drill the 3-3/8's holes in and I can finish up with the small holes. I will post mock up pics and the install pics of it I have a few questions to ask.
sorry i can't answer your questions but instead i have a question for you. Where did you get the cluster from??

I was planning on making my own as I work with aluminum on the KC-135 stratotanker everyday.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry i can't answer your questions but instead i have a question for you. Where did you get the cluster from??

I was planning on making my own as I work with aluminum on the KC-135 stratotanker everyday.
Didn't buy this cluster my friend. Notice the subject says "Custom" as in having it made myself. Na man it 18gauge steel plate that will be mocked up to the specs imma measure to finalize it. Right now it's just a square panel with a round off for the steering column so it will go around it.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Opal, I will be picking up my panel in a few minutes. In the meantime, can someone tell me how to post pics to this thread. thanks

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Thanks Opal, I will be picking up my panel in a few minutes. In the meantime, can someone tell me how to post pics to this thread. thanks
save the pictures to your desk top or some other place, then when you make a thumb nail (the little paper clip next to the white smiley face) then browse for the pictures

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok you guys, it's time to show my pics. Now before you start making fun of my first custom job that was done by me/metal shop, please don't be so hard. It's my first spawntanious attempt. I've done other custom things but they were all by others and there "Let me make something". Now this is me so here we go...

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just for the time being. Hell my other gauges on my stock **** don't work so mind as well. I have a mechanical water and oil pressure gauge at the engine bay so I'm good. Gas stays full at all times "When it's affordable too". But I'm not done. I still have my A/F gauge to place on there. Then I have to drill my holes for the toggle switches

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
... Hell all I had with the stock cluster technically was 1 gauge (The tach) which half ass worked

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
make sure you post some of it installed . . .

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I will be sure to post some installed pics I can tell you it's gonna look a little out of place because I haven't cut edges or rounded off anything yet as you can see but I will.

Hey thanks 91Cobra50, don't think that's it man LOL The truth about the one gauge which I think personally looks good, is If I get the other digital gauges, I have to buy all these senders which will add up quick as hell so I am op'ing for some regular gauges but a different style and at lest black and those will be installed below the radio. I will be adding my switches to the panel soon though.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Didn't buy this cluster my friend. Notice the subject says "Custom" as in having it made myself. Na man it 18gauge steel plate that will be mocked up to the specs imma measure to finalize it. Right now it's just a square panel with a round off for the steering column so it will go around it.
why didnt you go with some 0.080" aluminum?? its alot easier to work with. its also a lot lighter and plenty strong for 6-8 gauges. You can polish it or make it look like brushed aluminum. Simply take some grade "a" scotchbrite and brush in one direction only. NEVER go back and forth. then lift it up and move it over for another pass. after a couple passes back and forth it will look professionally done. You might also try some soap and water wile doing the process. It seams to help and doesn't scratch the alumiminum as much like it would with out the soap and water. its also easier to fix the mess ups that way. ill be making one for my fox before too long. Ill post some pics. Im going to be useing some nice autometer gauges with the gauge bezel ring color matches to the exterior color.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok here's the pics, I had to take it down in size since 98.4kb was to much.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
yes it's functional, both tach and speedo(Speedo once I get the sender).

Ok guys, I had to put the stock peice back on so the cluster can tell the voltage regulator to turn on and start charging. So see'ing it's the light that causing the battery not to take charge. I did buy an indicater light but it seems it's not going to work after testing. I had the ign on but not the car and the light didn't even light up for battery warning and without that, the V.R. wont turn on. So is there a possible way to buy a light for the batt warning and maybe using some 500ohm resistor wire so that will be able to tell the V.R to turn on and charge? I've already replaced all of my fuse links so good to know although they woerked, new ones are in it's place.

I'm tempted to gut(Not chop and break) the stock cluster and retain the back for the plugs, and just put mine in front of it but wanna see what yall say.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts