Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got sick of my $20 1.0^3 ft sealed prefab enclosure after 10 months.
I went to Home Depot and bought:
3/4" MDF
Titebond II
3M Super 77
1-5/8" coarse drywall screws
Some pan head screws

O'Reillys and bought:
Duplicolor filler primer
Duplicolor engine enamel
Duplicolor clear
Bondo Glass
And the application necessities.

I paid $23 for the design.

I started by cutting the MDF with a skill saw. I obviously do not have much skill.
Then I used the drywall screws and Titebond II to adhere the boards.

I let this sit overnight and dry.

Then I put some screws partially in the holes I drilled when I predict the sub and laid down the Bondo Glass to the baffle and all of the seams for support and to fix my mistakes.

Then, after sanding with 100 and 320 grit, I put down 3 coats of filler primer, 4 coats of engine enamel, and 5 coats of clear (1 can each) to the baffle and seams.

I didn't sand the Bondo Glass completely smooth to give it a textured look.

Then I put it in and had to roll with a half finished box since it rained in my old one since I forgot it outside and it stormed.

I finally got the carpet after a week of waiting for shipping through the holidays.
About 3 hours ago I finally finished it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not bad. How's it sound?
Sounds great!
So much louder and deeper than the prefab.

I made a few mistakes with my cuts so it ended up being about 1/8"-1/4" taller than I planned

·
Registered
842 Posts
building a sub encloser is not a guessing game. if it sounds ok and you had no planning on tunning the box then you got damn lucky. boxes are built spacific to each sub, and their are many things to consider. the sub manufacture should give round about box volume and tuning frequencythat the sub will perform best at. their are some really good calculators here Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
building a sub encloser is not a guessing game. if it sounds ok and you had no planning on tunning the box then you got damn lucky. boxes are built spacific to each sub, and their are many things to consider. the sub manufacture should give round about box volume and tuning frequencythat the sub will perform best at. their are some really good calculators here Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers
I paid to have it designed. It was designed to the specs of my car and my subwoofer. He took into account for the port volume displacement and subwoofer displacement and said it'd be about 2.1^3 ft and tuned around 33hz.
I made a slight mistake cutting the angle on the back piece which caused it to be slightly taller than I needed so it didn't fit right where I wanted. It was designed to be a close fit.

I didn't just throw some wood together hoping it would sound good. The box sounds damn good and it'll hit low, loud rap notes and even hit some Memphis May Fire double bass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts