Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for the best way to mount my amp, while being clean and simple, yet unique. I had the idea of mounting it to the trunk lid, and routing the wires. This way it would be visable, yet a clean out of the way look.

My first attempt was simply to screw the amp into the lid. This did not work for long. The fact that the screws were going into thin fiberglass (the frame area) and holding a heavy object, made it fall loose quickly. So, I needed to build a platform.

The idea then came of MDF made to fit in the panel. You can buy these pre-made, but being the DIY person I am, I went to make one. Now it did not come out perfect, but for a cheap price and an afternoon's work, its great.

Materials:

1. 1/4" MDF board - Free, from a friend
  2. Construction Adhesive - $4.00
  3. Spray adhesive - $4.00
  4. Black carpet - Free, left over
  5. Screws - always have some laying around
  6. Staples - always have some laying around
  7. Foam Board - $4.00
  8. Knife & Scissors
  9. Sharpie
  10. Jigsaw
  11. Speed Square
Total cost: $12.00

The process first started off by me cutting out a template from the foam board. This is just a trial and error step. I eventually got a mold that I liked, copied it down on the wood, drew, measured again, and cut the design.

Next was the carpet. I simply layed the wood cutout in the carpet, cut the carpet according to it's shape, sprayed adhesive on the face of the board and the backside of the carpet. I then applied pressure to make it hold. The edge of the carpet was wrapped around the wood and stapled into it to hold.

The original plan was the have the construction adhesive hold the panel. This was quickly flawed. I am unsure if it was just lack of contact points, or lack of strength. Regardless, I had a friend hold the panel while I inserted some screws to help hold it up.

Wires were then routed through wireloom and neatened up.

What do ya think?

BEFORE:

WORK BENCH:

DESIGN CUTOUT:

AFTER:

I do wish the panel covered a bit more, but like I said, for the time and money it took... I am pleased.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
one thing to think about, is heat... Im not familiar with your amp, but i know with my CrossFire sub amp I had it mounted upside down and it over heated after an hour or so of hard use. not sure if that would be an issue for you in your setup, but be aware.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it will be. Not sure why orientation would have an effect on heat. Besides, it has two fans... one intake and one exhaust, and they are not obstructed in any way.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
I'm Learning Drugs ΔΧ
5,214 Posts
Hmm I'm wondering if there is enough room to get two amps on there, Looking for ways to create some space for my summer sound project

·
Registered
535 Posts
it looks pretty good. id have looked for another area to run the wires. how is the cover attached? if the screws wouldnt hold the amp will it hold all of this? it did turn out well tho. it looks really good just wanted to bring up a few things to think about if you havent already-

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
ah, didn't realize there are fans on it. On my CrossFire the amp casing acts like the heat sink. the mosfets are kinda bolted to the casing and then the fins help dissipate heat buildup. problem if you mount it upside down is inside the amp the heat simply raises and is on the circuit board, and the fins are at the bottom... I found that after running it hard for a while it would turn off thanks to the thermal protection. I solved it by cutting holes in the casing at the left and right sides and mounting an intake and exhaust fan... Hmmm... Sound familiar? :)

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it looks pretty good. id have looked for another area to run the wires. how is the cover attached? if the screws wouldnt hold the amp will it hold all of this? it did turn out well tho. it looks really good just wanted to bring up a few things to think about if you havent already-
It will hold due to the fact that the weight is more distributed. Insted of having 4 screws close together on the amp, theres numerous screws spread across the entire structure. Its already holding.

I would of routed the wires behind it, but it was attached before I thought of this. It would be almost impossible to route the wires behind it while its attached.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
Thats a pretty bad ass idea! I would like to try this with my 2011, but I think my amp is too heavy and big to be mounted like that :(

·
Registered
889 Posts
Nice choice of an AMP, I have the same one! At least it looks the same!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Now that's CUSTOM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts