Modded Mustang Forums banner

Customizing my CAI

5K views 73 replies 29 participants last post by  F8L GT 
#1 ·
So... I decided to do a little project today. I have noticed my CAI tube has lost it's luster lately and I just could not seem to revive it. Therefore, I decided to paint it red to match the car, and give it a boost in visual candy. I also decided to cut the CAI tube and make it a Ram Air type CAI insted of the Fenderwell design. Yes, more heat... but my car is not built for performence (yet) so I am not worried about it. I am also adding a larger, more noticeable filter to make it pop even more.

Like an idiot I have not been taking pics along the way. Currently the two pieces are sitting in the sun baking the first color coat. I am heading out to take pics now...

#4 ·
Here we go... this thing turned out GREAT. Much better than I expected for a one day project. I painted one of my old adapters so it would be black, not blue. The paint only chipped in one spot when being installed, and you cant even see it since its hidden... I love the new look:

Color coat before clear:

All I did was drill a hole in the tubing where the bend started, grabbed a jigsaw and cut a straight line. Then I primed the tubes, sanded, color coated, clear coated, and installed. Im gonna give it a day or two to cure and then im gonna wax it. I know the wax will not stand long in the engine enviroment, but it will help.

What do you think?

Reactions: Indybird
#9 ·
Thanks for the compliments... I amazed myself at how good it turned out. The sound from the intake now is not as loud, but much deeper. Which tells me... more air. Bigger (and cleaner) filter, plus its a shorter pipe range for the air to travel.

Will see how different the throttle feels tomorrow heading to class.

#13 ·
It really did help the overall look. The cover was a faded gray. I sanded it down, primed it, sanded, painted the enamel (figured it was good because of the heat there), then cleared. It looked alot better a few months ago. I am really bad about drying the car and forgetting to dry under the hood and trunk after washing. Therefore water spots formed and bein spraypaint its hard to get them out.

#14 ·
wow dude, that looks freaking awesome! what kinda paint did you use? Im going to do this to mine on my day off Wednesday!!!

#18 ·
Was a basic black primer... can't think of the brand. Dupli-Color Engine Enamel Red, and a Lacquer Clear coat... can't think of the brand. It would of been better with a Dupli-Color clear coat since the spots that did not get a direct hit of the clear became hazy and rough. I just used what I had left over from other projects.

400, 600, 800, 1000 grit sand paper. Would be better if I went all the way to 2000.

If you need any help let me know!

that looks sick! but i couldnt help noticing that in your picture you didnt put the rubber piece back where the sensor hole is... that may be why it is louder... just thought i would point that out because you dont want sumthin falling in there and getting in your engine. it looks amazing though great job! :)
Ya, I am letting the paint cure overnight before I put it back in since I have to push it in. I dont want it to mess up the paint. All though it prolly will mess it up a bit since it is spray paint.

Looks great man

One of the greatest sixxers on this site bro :bow
Wow, thanks !!

Nice work, looks good Z.
Thanks man.

looks good...a painted CAI is always sweet...
We see eye to eye... thanks for the compliment :cool:

#15 ·
that looks sick! but i couldnt help noticing that in your picture you didnt put the rubber piece back where the sensor hole is... that may be why it is louder... just thought i would point that out because you dont want sumthin falling in there and getting in your engine. it looks amazing though great job! :)

#21 ·
I try :D

I give credit to this forum. When I joined back in 2007 this car was completely stock and I had no idea what the aftermarket was for a mustang. I have learned everything here.

Hell, I did not even know how to read tire info before I joined here.

#24 ·
you should paint the bolts that connect to the housing on the cai either black or red. just my 2 cents :). looks amazing though. Kind of makes me want to do a black/red theme on my engine bay.

#26 ·
you should paint the bolts that connect to the housing on the cai either black or red. just my 2 cents :).
I must give a +1 on that.
How did you get the "spectre" on there, is that like a sticker or something?
I was wondering the same thing.

Also Z, why did you relocate your drop in to have your filter sitting in your engine bay?

#28 ·
Good job man! I also have the same CAI from AM and i painted mine black. I wanted to paint the couplers but i wasnt sure if the paint would chip off so i left it alone. Ill have to paint my coupler now haha. You used Duplicolor i am guessing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.