Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Achieving more N/A power!
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Visual section or in here...

I've been torn for a while on whether to cut out the opening in my hood. I don't like the fake scoop look, but at the same time I'm worried that if I cut it out the hood it will catch a lot of air (i.e. air drag, dirt on the engine, vibrating the hood, etc.).

If I cut it out the question will be whether to leave it open or fabricate some kind of mesh filter in the opening, and just block it behind that so that air doesn't get in. That way it at least looks functional. I don't have a hood air intake such as the Mach 1 shaker hood so theres not really any reason to have it opened for air.

It's also been suggested to me to paint it black but I don't think it will look that good. Granted, it will probably look better than it is now but I think I would rather have it opened up.

I have a dremel tool standing by... just need to figure out what to put in there.

Here's a pic of the hood, there's another one in my sig:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yea thats a tough one i'm like you cut it but then agian **** getting inside hood moving around because air is catching inside

I'd say paint it black

·
The George Forman of Keepers
2,356 Posts
I dont know how the hood is designed but it seems that all you would need to do is block it from below.

Im no engineer but I ended up actually opening up my scoop. I drilled the majority of the "honeycomb" out. I had this impulsive idea to put LEDs in it. The picture does it no justice. I get compliments on it everywhere. Anyway, with the honey comb being drilled out, I attached a screen mesh right behind it to catch any debris or bugs. Also, because its so hot here in FL, I made vent holes in the hood itself under the scoop to allow the engine to disapate the heat a bit better. The vents are on a "high" part of the hood under the scoop. I never get any rain or extra dirt in the engine bay. Not a bit. Also, Ive burried the speedo and the scoop stayed solid as a rock.

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
just get some black vinyl stickers to cover it up, no matter what the damn thing is not functional cause we don't have a big air cleaner on a carb in the middle of the hood.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I've got the same hood on my 97 and its cut out. All I did was mold some mesh into the part where I cut out and bam, fully funtional and sexy. i'll show you on the 30th at Hooters

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
i wouldnt say fully functional, what does it do. Air coming into that little scoop blows air ontop of your motor which does nothing really.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Today, 04:37 PM #46 347stroker
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by gills99stang Yea you should definately cut it out....It adds 15 horsepower with the ram air.

HAHA just kidding but I had mine cut out and I think it looks good. I want to fab some kind of a screen to put in it but have had no sucess so far.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It adds HP:D

·
Registered
915 Posts
Its fully functional as in air comes in from the front scoop and the back has been cut out as well. Don't know what you consider fully functional, but I've got cool air coming in up front pushing hot air out the back. <---generically speaking

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've got the same hood on my 97 and its cut out. All I did was mold some mesh into the part where I cut out and bam, fully funtional and sexy. i'll show you on the 30th at Hooters
fully funtional would be blowing air or helping blow air directly into the intake or onto the intake.:yes

the car does not get hot enough under the hood like a turbo car to require this .

also what do you do to stop the rain or water from getting under the hood ?:confused:

anyways unless your going to make it fully funtional and also make a vent that you can open and close so water doesnt get in the motor i would just put a black sticker on it as your not gaing anything except a dirt engine bay and a dirty engine bay creates more heat and also makes things under your hood like belts and such wear out faster .:yes

·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fully funtional would be blowing air or helping blow air directly into the intake or onto the intake.:yes

the car does not get hot enough under the hood like a turbo car to require this .

also what do you do to stop the rain or water from getting under the hood ?:confused:

anyways unless your going to make it fully funtional and also make a vent that you can open and close so water doesnt get in the motor i would just put a black sticker on it as your not gaing anything except a dirt engine bay and a dirty engine bay creates more heat and also makes things under your hood like belts and such wear out faster .:yes
This is what I was thinking. The only reason I could see opening it up is for heat dissipation and it wouldn't make enough difference to be worth it. Plus I don't want/need all the dirt and water in the engine bay.

I'm still considering the paint/black vinyl option, but I would much rather cut it out, fabricate some kind of mesh insert to put in there, and then block the scoop behind that so that at least it looks functional.

68 dlxcoupe I'm looking forward to seeing how you did yours at the Hooters meet.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
i wouldnt say fully functional, what does it do. Air coming into that little scoop blows air ontop of your motor which does nothing really.

sorry to jump in here off topic..
White99stang welcome to elkridge. the guy I knew with the lansdowne house called me like two weeks ago and said it was available but I told him it was too late. Hope you are liking it here. your about 3 miles from me. 07stanggt and I are meeting at ellicott city starbucks at 2pm today and then cruising to richie highway if you are up for it. just hit me on my cell if you still have it and I will give you the meeting place address. take care and be safe. zoo/rob

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It adds HP:D
the cooler the engine the more hp sure. if it cools more than it creates drag then there might be an increase but nothing worth noting and certainly nothing you will feel. i am talking about just a hole.

·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the cooler the engine the more hp sure. if it cools more than it creates drag then there might be an increase but nothing worth noting and certainly nothing you will feel. i am talking about just a hole.
I think it would create drag at the strip and also vibrate the hood catching all that air, even with my hood pins.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sorry, I forgot about the whole feeding air into the intake as being fully functional, staying up all night does that to me, but Gill, when I'm driving my motor stays very cool, like chillin on the N of NORMAL. As far as parts wearing out faster, Ive never had a problem with the belts, coil packs, or even water getting to the motor. Just my .02 i'll let you check everything out hooters Brendan

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sorry, I forgot about the whole feeding air into the intake as being fully functional, staying up all night does that to me, but Gill, when I'm driving my motor stays very cool, like chillin on the N of NORMAL. As far as parts wearing out faster, Ive never had a problem with the belts, coil packs, or even water getting to the motor. Just my .02 i'll let you check everything out hooters Brendan
Same here never had a problem, you will get just as much dirt and water driving down the road as you will with this cut open. As far as the hood creating drag yea maybe but there are vents in the back of my cowl where the air goes right out, Ive been 120-130 with this hood and it was sitting there just fine.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Same here never had a problem, you will get just as much dirt and water driving down the road as you will with this cut open. As far as the hood creating drag yea maybe but there are vents in the back of my cowl where the air goes right out, Ive been 120-130 with this hood and it was sitting there just fine.
I've been 155 and mine was just doin a tiny little up and down jigg. Nothing serious though. If you do cut out the front scoop, cut out the back two as well. That will help out with decreasing drag.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yea I think mine came with those cut out if I remember righter. Has some kind of mesh in them. Do you have the pins or stock latch?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts