Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have been running around with no axel backs for a couple days recently... I have noticed a considerable loss of low end torque but I seem to have more high end guessing because of much more air flow....
I am wondering if this horsepower loss will remain even when I put my full exhaust on and if this is bad for my car running without good back pressure???
Sounds great....

-Joe

·
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger
4,370 Posts
I dont think it is bad for your car. But when I switched from the stck axle backs to the SLP loudmouth axle backs, I also noticed a loss of low end torque. But I have been told by others that it is just in my head as you see no improvement by removing the stock axlebacks & running the straight pipes on the S197... I feel a little better hearing someone else with the same brain problem as me;)

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
i lost .1 with axle backs no ****...

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
no i mean i lost .1 in the 1/8 mile.. from 9.0 to 8.9

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel more hesitation too... I can jump on it an it takes a little more then normal to get really moving...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the same problem with my Boomtubes. I know everyone says 1-2 ft lbs loss. But it felt like much more. I went back to the stock axelbacks and my torque came back. However, my top end seems to lack just a hair.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Loss Power

OK HERES THE GIG did any of u disconnect ur battery (neg) side while doing the axlebacks??? if u did u didnt lose, those of us who did not disconect did, it takes about 200 miles for the computer to catch up ,so if u did not disconnect the neg side u would feel a loss , by the time it came back uforgot how it felt:cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did try that and drove for more than 200 miles. Still the same. OEM mufflers back on and tons of torque. Maybe each car acts different to certain mods.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Computer

BY disconnecting the battery , the computer resets itself to the exhaust being let out of the engine faster , faster air in ,faster air out theory, but with engine managment this is a little more diffucult, so u need to disconnect the neg, side i didnt do this and i didndt get the power until about 200 miles ,the extra kick from the stingers

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just got my hands on some Pypes a/b. I will give them a try. Aren't they pretty much a open pipe design?

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
I just got my hands on some Pypes a/b. I will give them a try. Aren't they pretty much a open pipe design?
They are a straight throw style muffler, but they will have more back pressure than a muffler delete.

And I think if you dyno'd a stock car and then took the mufflers of the lose of torque would be less that 5 ft lbs.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
BY disconnecting the battery , the computer resets itself to the exhaust being let out of the engine faster , faster air in ,faster air out theory, but with engine managment this is a little more diffucult, so u need to disconnect the neg, side i didnt do this and i didndt get the power until about 200 miles ,the extra kick from the stingers
That would have nothing to do with mufflers man. No mufflers just means no back pressure, your just loosing power down low. Slps do it to because their just a straight pipe with a rolled tip, I'm pretty sure the boom tubes have some kind of metal webbing inside of them to create some back pressure.

·
Registered
437 Posts
H.P.

running with no axlebacks u gained 3 rwhp, if u put on resonaters only with baffled chrome tips , like the new gt500kr ,some WICKED SOUND COMMETH:cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is disconnecting the battery still the best thing to do with a A/B swap? I just hate reprogramming my Radio. (SAT RADIO, XOVERS SETTINGS, ETC.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts