Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just recently cut my springs on my 04 mustang. Can u do the same for an 07 my wife thinks she needs hers lowered now--lol
thanks

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Im not sure what kind of springs the 07 had, but you should only cut linear rated springs. If you cut Progressive rated springs you will change the rating of the spring and affect the ride quality.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
They can be cut, but why. The cost of lowering springs isn't a pocket emptying experience.
I cut mine last week. Did it because its free as opposed to paying $250 or whatever for springs that dont ride as good as the stock ones cut. My ride quality didnt change...if anything handling improved due to the lower center of gravity. I only cut 3/4 coil. A TON of the guys over at SVTP cut spings on the Terminators because they ride better than the aftermarket springs.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cut mine last week. Did it because its free as opposed to paying $250 or whatever for springs that dont ride as good as the stock ones cut. My ride quality didnt change...if anything handling improved due to the lower center of gravity. I only cut 3/4 coil. A TON of the guys over at SVTP cut spings on the Terminators because they ride better than the aftermarket springs.
The reason at least on my 04 is because I wanted a certain stance and it only took me bout 2 hours we drag race both cars and the stock springs are much better than lowering springs launch wise and drag launch springs sit to high for our taste plus I like doing stuff like this just to give our cars a little different look than others

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i dont think you want to cutt them on the sn97s, by the way the strut spring combo is

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
You can't bullshit a bullshitter. I know better from experience and two cars you've seen here are partly the reason I say this. Blu and my brother run 03 and 04 cobras and I've done the springs in both. My brothers are cut and while it rides okay, it's far from great ride quality. It sure looks good, I'll give it that.

Blu's car rides like a dream, sits on H&R springs and leaves hard with good squat, and truer off the line. Corners are sick and ther's no denying the difference if you ride in one and then immediately get into the other. You feel a significant difference in his ride on city and highway driving. You see a negligable difference in the launch in blu's. SVTP has some great guys on it, many of them friends of many years, but they don't realize where spring technology is at in this day and age.

The reason at least on my 04 is because I wanted a certain stance and it only took me bout 2 hours we drag race both cars and the stock springs are much better than lowering springs launch wise and drag launch springs sit to high for our taste plus I like doing stuff like this just to give our cars a little different look than others
I understand stance, I really do. However I'll disagree with dragging on cut stock springs being better than any lowering progressive rate spring. You negate that on a stocker by removing material. I have seen good results on a cut spring with a QA1 shock, but that is not what we are talking about here.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You can't bullshit a bullshitter. I know better from experience and two cars you've seen here are partly the reason I say this. Blu and my brother run 03 and 04 cobras and I've done the springs in both. My brothers are cut and while it rides okay, it's far from great ride quality. It sure looks good, I'll give it that.

Blu's car rides like a dream, sits on H&R springs and leaves hard with good squat, and truer off the line. Corners are sick and ther's no denying the difference if you ride in one and then immediately get into the other. You feel a significant difference in his ride on city and highway driving. You see a negligable difference in the launch in blu's. SVTP has some great guys on it, many of them friends of many years, but they don't realize where spring technology is at in this day and age.

I understand stance, I really do. However I'll disagree with dragging on cut stock springs being better than any lowering progressive rate spring. You negate that on a stocker by removing material. I have seen good results on a cut spring with a QA1 shock, but that is not what we are talking about here.
I didnt notice any change in ride quality, nor did my fiance. When I put the eibach pro kit on my GT we both noticed a stiffer ride...and felt every bump in the road. Not the case in the cobra though. like I said though, I only cut 3/4 coil or a little less, so its not slammed.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I cut the rear stock springs on my car to test it out for the track and I didn't notice much difference in ride quality. Lets face it lowering springs change the ride quality compared to stock, too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe it's just me but on my 04 from pics from the track it seems to have better weight transfer but u also have my sway bar off now too. Now not sure what to do with the 07 now. We r starting to get competitive on the track I'm getting ready to start modding this one don't want to mess it up

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Maybe it's just me but on my 04 from pics from the track it seems to have better weight transfer but u also have my sway bar off now too. Now not sure what to do with the 07 now. We r starting to get competitive on the track I'm getting ready to start modding this one don't want to mess it up
That is human nature, competition mod bugs bite hard on the strip.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Dude. Just save a few hundred bucks and do it right. Get you a nice set of springs, and don't mess around cutting ****... They are not meant to get cut, so stay away from it. I have Eibach Pro-Kit on my S197 and it rides great, hugs corners and it's a blast on the on/off ramps.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is human nature, competition mod bugs bite hard on the strip.
:yes lol that's true permission to use that phrase in future conversation that's a new one. I think u guys have talked me into getting some new springs. Thanks everyone who chimed in

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What did you use to cut them? I would guess they are pretty hard?
I used a cut off wheel took 10 mins. It really looks good on my 04 I took ISO's out left the rear alone it's got lowering springs I had a broken spring on the front caspergt told me to put stockers on and it work really well just wanted it to sit lower in the front love the stance now just not going to do it with the 07 it's the wides ride I want it to be safe on the track

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
i cut my lowering springs to get it where i wanted it. if you do decide to cut the front it is very important that you cut a full coil. if you start cutting a little at a time the upper strut mount will come apart. it has to be clocked in a specific position. ask me how i know this. lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
i cut my lowering springs to get it where i wanted it. if you do decide to cut the front it is very important that you cut a full coil. if you start cutting a little at a time the upper strut mount will come apart. it has to be clocked in a specific position. ask me how i know this. lol
How do you know that?:D

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Well there you have it. Me? I'd buy some and do it right. I like Steeda sport springs, but there are many good choices.

Decide how low you want it and shop accordingly. Steeda is 1" front 1.25" rear, Eibach is lower...others can chime in, but I wouldn't cut...these springs are progressive and rate tuned...the coils are not even throughout the length...I won't get into the physics of progressive springs, but as stated, new aftermarket springs are not a wallet crusher on this whip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts