Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my rear springs are still stock at stock height. I'm wanting to drop it about 1" so I still have some room when I switch to 28's. How much should I cut?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
1 coil i have pics 1 sec

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
np man. I checked around too before I cut it and 28in does fit in there. Should fill it nicely too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know this is far from the same as cuttin'em on a Stang. But I had my stock springs cut on my 88' Subaru Justy years ago cause they didn't make springs for it. Boyy did it ride hard and probably hurt the car more than help't it, epecially on the bumpy crappy Pa roads. I'd say just find some decent used aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I think it looks great. It has a very nice stance, congrats on a good job. :cool:

On a side note: I think silver is my favorite color for a sports car. The contrast between the light and dark areas really helps to show off the contours of the car. Plus it just looks so clean. Of course that's why I picked silver myself, so maybe I'm a little bias.;)

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I know this is far from the same as cuttin'em on a Stang. But I had my stock springs cut on my 88' Subaru Justy years ago cause they didn't make springs for it. Boyy did it ride hard and probably hurt the car more than help't it, epecially on the bumpy crappy Pa roads. I'd say just find some decent used aftermarket ones.
I wonder if the justy had progressive rate springs? If so, you might have cut off the softer coils from the spring only leaving the stiffer coils?:confused:

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Willy, since you say you are wanting to go with 28s in the future, I would only go with half coil.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the next set of tires with probably 275/60. They now are tucked pretty decent. As long as I don't go too much wider I think I would be fine with 1 coil cut. I have 2"+ space between tire and fender well.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Willy, since you say you are wanting to go with 28s in the future, I would only go with half coil.

I wonder how well rear coilovers would work on a street/strip car that is more street than strip?

Say if you changed the spring rates could the car still handle well? I think it would be great to put stiffer springs on all around. Then lower it and also do well in an autocross.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The words 'coil overs' and 'worth it' should never be separated by the word 'unsure.'

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
The performance gained from coilovers is leaps and bounds over cut springs. It's worth it.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have coilovers on the front, but I have heard tht most coilover kits out for the rear have problems with the lower mounts breaking.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I bet coilovers in the rear of a Cobra with IRS would really improve the handling. One by reducing unsprung weight over stock coil springs and more than likely due to improved geometry.

the right coil over set up would be world of difference on these cars. but like i said, it has to be the right set up.the only ones worth it to me to put on are these

Chris Alston's Chassisworks, Inc.; Chris Alston's Chassisworks, Inc. - REAR COIL-OVER CONVERSION FOR 79-04 MUSTANG, Q1
Wow! That's not exactly cheap, but looks good.

I have coilovers on the front, but I have heard that most coilover kits out for the rear have problems with the lower mounts breaking.
You would think there would be away to reinforce it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts