Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think i may just cut my stock springs to seehow i like the stang lowered. Lots of reading and searching. Everything seems to be a write up about cobras. Not sure if springs are the same. I think id like to go 1-1.5". How much have you guys cut on your stock GT springs and how much drop did it give. If i missed this somewhere in search please point me to is. GT springs though, not cobras.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I searched cutting instaed of cut and found what i needed. Looks like 1 coil is the way to go?

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Dont cut your springs, biggest mistake ever. Makes your car ride rough, and you should just get proper springs for 200$ and get struts. Trust me the moron that cut my springs on my car had 2 coils cut on it before i bought it. After i dropped the lower control arm it had no pressure on it to the point it just fell out. :)

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
Dont cut your springs, biggest mistake ever. Makes your car ride rough, and you should just get proper springs for 200$ and get struts. Trust me the moron that cut my springs on my car had 2 coils cut on it before i bought it. After i dropped the lower control arm it had no pressure on it to the point it just fell out. :)
thats because he is a moron and cutt 2 coils out lol

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
I cut the springs on my cobra about 2 coils and it rides better than stock. Then again...I think cobra springs might be different than GT's...not too sure.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have pics of one coil cut?

·
Registered
164 Posts
2 coils is too many, 1 to 1 1/2 is fine and should put you right about where you want, its free so no harm done, but it should ride fine. I've had one coil off all around and no ride issues for over a year now. Don't forget cut from the bottom on the fronts and the top on the rears

·
Registered
96 Posts
2 coils is too many, 1 to 1 1/2 is fine and should put you right about where you want, its free so no harm done, but it should ride fine. I've had one coil off all around and no ride issues for over a year now. Don't forget cut from the bottom on the fronts and the top on the rears
I completely agree 2 coils is too many.Mine are cut and it rides and drives better than it did stock height.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Decided to go for it tomorrow. Think I'm going to cut one coil .

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I took a whole coil off each front side. Didnt do the back since one coil only gave a half inch. Just decided to wait till i get new coils. Didint feel like taking apart again and cutting another half or full coil.
Before cut , and before any questions, i didnt put the interceptor emblems on. PO did.

After cut

And the broken FORD, not drop zone, coil.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after a 60 mile round trip with the wife and 2 little ones, cutting one coil on drivers side and the rest of the broken coil on passengers side, i got 3/4" in the front. I didnt cut the rears. With just one coil cut i can see the camber is slightly off. Top leans in a small bit. Would like another 3/4" drop. thinking of cutting a second coil. If i cut a 1/2 coil dies it matter where the top of the spring sets. I want to be able to seat the bottom where its supposed to be.
Cleaned it up after the drop and snapped a few pics.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there something stock that would go on bumper where theres holes for license plate?

·
connoisseur of fast cars
15 Posts
I would highly recommend saving money and buying eibach. 3 of 4 springs were broken in mine when I got in there, but you couldn't see it with the arms in place. Seems the stock springs are pretty weak to begin with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts