Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause my Oil and Alt lights to flash back and forth. All that needs to happen is hook up the battery, the key doesn't need to be on or in the car. The Lights will come on solid, then one will go out and the other on and back and forth like rail road crossings. The car will start and run. When the car is running the Oil light stays solid while the Alt goes out.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
The oil light works like this,

It has power to it all the time on 1 side, Then the sending unit when it has no pressure give the light a ground. Making it come on.

The Alt light work like this,

The alt light has power all the time also, The other side is hooked up to the stater on the back of the Alternator when the alt is working it provides a 2nd power soure makeing the light go off, and when not working it is a ground. This a good spot to hook up you electric choke wires at.

So Im thinking you two diffrent problems, They dont have anything to do with each other.

Good Luck, Todd

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible it could be in my ignition. The reason I ask is because when I hooked up the battery today it wasn't doing it, but when I turned the car to the run position and then off and took the key out it started again. I looked under the dash and it looks like someone tried to hook up a ground and hot wire for a radio.

I plan to get in behind the dash today, but I have no idea what I am doing back there.. what would be the best way to get in there and have a look. Up under the dash, or pulling the instrument panel?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts