Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. my current mods are as follows:
Auto trans (not a mod but just saying), CAI, 75mm TB, Plenum, Original 40 flows... I am looking to get a jegs o/r h pipe for 179 bucks.... the only thing is this car is my daily driver, will it be fine just hooking the offroad h up without a tune or anything. i know the CEL will be on. but i mean will the car run funny/bad without cats? will there be any negatives to this? how will it run? and secondly will i be happy with the change in loudness and tone?

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
I'd say it'll be fine...A tune would help but mine really didn't make it run much different with a tune, I mainly used it the first time to shut off the check engine light...It should sound pretty damn good with the flowmasters too

·
Registered
617 Posts
No you dont need a tune, it will be perfectly fine. You will be happy with the sound, yes the CEL will come on but if you need pass emissions get a set of MIL Eliminators. You will get a boner.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Im not trying to restate what been said for the millionth time but for future notion just know that although a tune and or buying a handheld would be a good investment no matter what you've had done or have left to do (its a gain your see) Our new edge's are tuned very very conservatively from the factory. With that said, you don't need a tune even having FULL-BOLT ons (if you don't want to). Or even running nitro you wouldn't die from not tuning (reccommended though) Not until you add: gears or camps, turbo, or s/c is a tune req.

Best wishes for future modding :)

NOTE: You reap the full benifits of FULL BOLT_ONS only once your tuned though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a borla stinger catback with o/r h-pipe and I LOVE IT.!!!..the h-pipe adds a great muscle tone to the exhaust that will make you just want to go outside and start your car up just to listen to it..you wont regret it..of course any o/r pipe is going to be louder than a catted pipe, but you know that...but if your looking for a louder/muscle tone exhaust than thats exactly what you want...good luck!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'd just buy a tuner anyway. My check engine light only comes on every few weeks, but it's annoying as hell and I like to be able to shut it off within a few minutes. Basically if it pops on, I pull over, take 30 seconds to clear the code, and I'm happy.

I'd be very mad if I couldn't turn it off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an o/r H and I turn my CEL off with an ultra gauge. I would recommend getting a tune after installing it. I've been told that my H and o2 sensors are the reason for my funky a/f readings.

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
Just get an SCT handheld -- You will get a few tunes on it that may help. You can also adjust when your fans come on and your rev limiters and stuff that is pretty cool. You can also check your codes and clear codes which has been a big help. You can also turn off your rear o2's so no cel light comes on.

Get the tuner - If you do mods in the future you will thank yourself.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
SCT and DiabloSport handheld tuners with the latest revisions will not shut off the check engine light from a catless midpipe without a custom tune due to complaints from the EPA and a few other 3-letter agencies. You can make your own "MIL Eliminators" for around $8 of parts and a soldering iron. I have a bunch of splice-in MIL Eliminators sitting around here as well if you'd like to buy a pair of them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
+1 on making your own MIL Eliminators, and they are a must have if you need to pass emissions like me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well you see.. i would love to get the o/r h and a tune, but i do not have the money for both. i am currently a "poor college kid"... i really want the tune since i know it will help a lot with my auto, but i also want the intimidating sound of the h pipe. idk which to do first hah

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't worry about the tune. You don't need the damn thing. My car isn't tuned. I have a O/R X and it's perfectly fine man. Buy the H pipe and be happy. The end.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would start with the tuner. When I got my o/r x I lost a lot of low-end power from the back pressure that the cats create. Besides that my air/fuel was all off and the car didnt run as well. It may be different if you use an H but I dont know. Just get the tuner and be happy besides you can find cheap o/r pipes on craigslist.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would start with the tuner. When I got my o/r x I lost a lot of low-end power from the back pressure that the cats create. Besides that my air/fuel was all off and the car didnt run as well. It may be different if you use an H but I dont know. Just get the tuner and be happy besides you can find cheap o/r pipes on craigslist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts