Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I'm partially tempted to sell my 06 GT for a 2011-2012 V6. I'm averaging 12.5mpg right now (with fresh spark plugs, fuel filter, CAI & tune and I drive pretty relaxed, never romp on it) which is killing me. I'm sitting at about 91,000 miles, too, and I'm getting a little stressed about the longevity of the car.

It's currently my DD, granted I don't drive more than 15-20 miles a day on average, but I feel like I'm just dumping in hundreds of dollars on maintenance lately when I could just sell it and grab a reasonable V6 with under 20,000 miles for just a few thousand more.

What's your guys' opinions? I'd hate to step down from a V8, but I'm trying to think in terms of practicality and longevity here. Anybody else have any high mileage DD's that they've worked on? I don't want to live in fear of having something go wrong down the line.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The longevity argument is non sense. I have an 06 GT as well, and I purchased it when it had 30k miles on it. In 2 years time I have managed to trip 94k miles. I used to commute in it, now I have a job closer to home. I purchased the car it had all the hookups for a nitrous bottle lol. I've sprayed the **** out of it as well. Even tried tuning it myself on the handheld a couple times and managed to blow the tips off of a few spark plugs lol.

Point of the story is these 3v 4.6L motors are pretty durable and that's speaking from the abuse I have given mine and the bottles I have put through it.

Now maintenance for me usually turns into performance mods. I take something stock off, I am putting something better on, usually at the same price or cheaper. The after market supply for these cars are nice and you are going to lose that with a V6 when dealing with performance mods. Hell you could replace your whole engine for 7k.

Your mileage I don't understand. What kind of mods do you have? I have basic bolt on's (see sig) and I average 19-21 mpg... I don't know how your only managing 12.5? I do run my tires at 45 PSI which usually picks me up .5 to 1 mpg when they get low. You might want to splurge on a Hand Held tuner and hit up American Muscle Bama Tunes for Life and ask them for a MPG tune. Im getting my 19+ on a Hybrid tune with 30 minutes country driving, 15 minutes city driving each day.

I don't think you should down grade to a v6 expecting much better gas mileage to be honest. I doubt you would see much increase in MPG. I think you may find better results in an email tune. I just can't believe your only getting 12.5mpg.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Something is wrong if your getting 12.5 mpg, Im @ 550 RWHP and get 13-14 all city driving. As far as longevity with proper maintenance these motors are good for 200,000.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
The longevity argument is non sense. I have an 06 GT as well, and I purchased it when it had 30k miles on it. In 2 years time I have managed to trip 94k miles. I used to commute in it, now I have a job closer to home. I purchased the car it had all the hookups for a nitrous bottle lol. I've sprayed the **** out of it as well. Even tried tuning it myself on the handheld a couple times and managed to blow the tips off of a few spark plugs lol.

Point of the story is these 3v 4.6L motors are pretty durable and that's speaking from the abuse I have given mine and the bottles I have put through it.

Now maintenance for me usually turns into performance mods. I take something stock off, I am putting something better on, usually at the same price or cheaper. The after market supply for these cars are nice and you are going to lose that with a V6 when dealing with performance mods. Hell you could replace your whole engine for 7k.

Your mileage I don't understand. What kind of mods do you have? I have basic bolt on's (see sig) and I average 19-21 mpg... I don't know how your only managing 12.5? I do run my tires at 45 PSI which usually picks me up .5 to 1 mpg when they get low. You might want to splurge on a Hand Held tuner and hit up American Muscle Bama Tunes for Life and ask them for a MPG tune. Im getting my 19+ on a Hybrid tune with 30 minutes country driving, 15 minutes city driving each day.

I don't think you should down grade to a v6 expecting much better gas mileage to be honest. I doubt you would see much increase in MPG. I think you may find better results in an email tune. I just can't believe your only getting 12.5mpg.
You need to let some air out of your tires lol. They are supposed to be at 32 and I wouldn't be surprised if you were over or near the limit of the tire as well.

·
Registered
829 Posts
You need to let some air out of your tires lol. They are supposed to be at 32 and I wouldn't be surprised if you were over or near the limit of the tire as well.
50 is Max, I am good. I usually run 40-50 PSI in all my street tires and never had a problem.
245/35/20 NT 555s
Max Load 1521lbs at 50PSI

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I'm partially tempted to sell my 06 GT for a 2011-2012 V6. I'm averaging 12.5mpg right now (with fresh spark plugs, fuel filter, CAI & tune and I drive pretty relaxed, never romp on it) which is killing me. I'm sitting at about 91,000 miles, too, and I'm getting a little stressed about the longevity of the car.

It's currently my DD, granted I don't drive more than 15-20 miles a day on average, but I feel like I'm just dumping in hundreds of dollars on maintenance lately when I could just sell it and grab a reasonable V6 with under 20,000 miles for just a few thousand more.

What's your guys' opinions? I'd hate to step down from a V8, but I'm trying to think in terms of practicality and longevity here. Anybody else have any high mileage DD's that they've worked on? I don't want to live in fear of having something go wrong down the line.
Might has well buy a bicycle if your worried about longevity......

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
50 is Max, I am good. I usually run 40-50 PSI in all my street tires and never had a problem.
245/35/20 NT 555s
Max Load 1521lbs at 50PSI
You are severely over inflating those tires. I have to run my NT555's at 28 to 29psi just to get them to ride flat across the whole tire. If you're running that much, you're opting for a lower quality ride and faster wear across the center of those tires.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
You are severely over inflating those tires. I have to run my NT555's at 28 to 29psi just to get them to ride flat across the whole tire. If you're running that much, you're opting for a lower quality ride and faster wear across the center of those tires.
And increased braking distance, decreased handling, and worse traction.

·
Turbo Maniac
437 Posts
If you never romp on it, why have it? Your accepting the negative aspects of Mustang ownership and not enjoying the benefits.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You can pick up a used engine and trans combo on s197forum for $2800 with like 30k miles so buying a replacement engine is practical

·
Registered
402 Posts
to be subjective about it, don't do it.

My first mustang was an 06 v6. An while the new 3.7s are better than the old awful 4.0s, what will go through your head every time you pull up at a stoplight next to any s197 GT is a sense of inferiority, like pulling up next to a gt500 (those sobs). No matter how much you consciously talk yourself into feeling like you could run him off the line, you're still gonna feel like a v6 in a world full of bolt on GTs.

Trust me I went through 5 years of that (and 2 years of therapy! :'( ) lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everybody. I guess I'm just being too paranoid haha.

As for the 12.5mpg, I live in a small town that is literally nothing but stop & go traffic. I'm lucky to be going 40mph for 1 minute before having to slow to hit a red light. It's ridiculous. I'm assuming that's to blame for the bad MPG. I went cruising at 2:00am last night when there was no traffic, and at a constant basis of 40mph I was averaging 17.5mpg. So I guess traffic/lights are to blame in this case? Either way, a hybrid tune sounds pretty good, regardless.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
you could always just get a cheap beater, I have a volvo s60 I got for 7k, runs perfect, had 118k, leather, AWD, heated seats, sunroof, all its needed so far is tires an oil changes and im at 145k now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ That's actually another idea that I had, honestly.

I work in a busy downtown area that sees a lot of tourists and shitty drivers, and my car has been banged up my other people's car doors and I've caught people leaning and touching my car dozens of times (stress fracture on my bumper thanks to some fatass lady sitting on it, too) - so naturally I'd love to drive a bucket to work rather than my baby, haha.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I have always had beaters to put the "shitty" miles on,... either way dont buy a v6 mustang, even if it is faster than your current one.. sounds lame! lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
But with everyone saying that stuff.. The new V6 is potent! The same horsepower as a 3V GT and better gas mileage!

I drive one of those "shitty" 4.0L and I can average 24-26 with very very easy driving, and still around 19-22 with smashing the gas everywhere.. On my way to Colorado Springs, I averaged 33 mpg, up hill..

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having a bolt on 2011+ V6

Eat some 2V and 3V for lunch

Especially this cocky ass red with black stripe 3V that always does fly by's but never wants to race

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
402 Posts
^ That's actually another idea that I had, honestly.

I work in a busy downtown area that sees a lot of tourists and shitty drivers, and my car has been banged up my other people's car doors and I've caught people leaning and touching my car dozens of times (stress fracture on my bumper thanks to some fatass lady sitting on it, too) - so naturally I'd love to drive a bucket to work rather than my baby, haha.
I would have literally killed her.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts