Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lurker
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the last autocross of the year for the Delta region today, got one more next weekend with my local region, and it wasn't a very fast course, never got close to the top of second even with the shorter 265/40-18 RS3s. Also didn't help I drove like a retard and had to try and tune out the massive understeer my car now had thanks to adding the watts link, it was set on the middle position at install.

Here's the course map for y'all to take a look at though changes were made that actually tightened it up some. :(

First off I love the extra grip of the RS3s and the lighter wheels are noticeable. I didn't have near as much trouble putting power down and in fact could use full throttle on almost every straight section which I've never had the pleasure of before. I also coned away 3 of my 5 runs from trying to drive around the understeer issues with the throttle without any success. I had turned the rebound down on the rear shocks 1/4 of a turn for my 3rd & 4th runs and it helped the understeer some but not near enough. So I backed them out to .75 turns up from full soft (+2 turns is full stiff) for my final run plus me pulling my head out of my backside and taking the dreaded 360 a better direction shaved about 1.5 seconds off my previous best time. Still left I would guess well over a second on course but as I said before I drove with my head up my butt so not happy with my driving at all no matter the finishing position. Thanks to the last shock change the car was finally somewhat turning when asked but still no where near what I wanted so waiting on my adjustable sway bars to arrive hoping that'll help more. A little more tweaking and tuning should get the car carving the corners and dancing through the slaloms much better providing a good drop in time and I should have a fighting chance for ftd at the local level.

Oh and results, Pax'd 2nd out of 32 drivers only .332 out of first, 7th in raw time only .9 from first (which was a c6 grandsport on A6s driven by roberta wetzel who won her class at nats this year in I think BSL), 1st in the huge 2 car field that was stx.

Video uploading.......

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
That course looked painful! :( There is a huge reason that the course building guide specifically prohibits sharp turn arounds!!! All that matters is you had fun right? :p

The watts link will be an interesting thing for you to experiment with in addition to the roll bars. Higher results in more oversteer (less weight transfer side to side means less overall grip) and lower means more understeer. The best part is adjusting the roll center doesn't change how the car feels in transitions which is about 20x better than it ever did with the PHB configuration! I hope your experience was similar going from the aftermarket PHB to the Watts link.

·
Lurker
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will say the car transitions much better and consistent than with a phb, definetaly more confidence in slaloms. If my roll bars make it this week I'll be installing them Saturday both on the middle position and tuning from there after I get a feel for the car. My guess, unless roll bars make a huge difference is I'll end up raising the roll center on the watts all the way up and running the front bar on the middle to stiff setting and rear on the soft to middle setting. Though testing will ultimately determine where settings end up.

·
F*stocker
339 Posts
That course looked painful! :( There is a huge reason that the course building guide specifically prohibits sharp turn arounds!!! All that matters is you had fun right? :p
X2

Nice video. Though damn you guys don't get very many cars.

·
Lurker
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This event had an unusually low turnout, though our more normal turnout of 50ish cars isn't many compared to many places. I wish we had more along the lines of 70-80 cars per event, and so do both regions I run in. My local region (cenla for central louisiana) will probably disappear in 2013 if we don't get some events with 50+ car turnouts soon and the delta region I ran with for this event is barely breaking even with the 50ish car count we average.

Yes that turn around was painful, I would've rather had a pivot cone type 180 somewhere vs that but I take what I can get. The rest of the course, while not as good as some past courses, wasn't what I'd call painful, just very technical which is good sometimes.

·
Lurker
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had the last autocross of 2012 today. Course wasn't overly difficult but almost everyone had trouble getting any clean runs. I only had 1 clean run which was still a good run for the day. Unfortunately I barely clipped 1 cone on each of my best runs that were just over .6 quicker than my clean run. Only change from my event last sunday was that I raised the roll center on the watts link all the way to the top hole(still waiting on my strano swaybars). The car still has just a bit of understeer in it but handles sooooo much better than last week. I don't know how I ever ran this thing without the watts as well as I did, it's so much more predictable in slaloms and quick transitions now.

Anyways onto the videos

Best and only clean run

Best raw time +1 cone

·
Registered
258 Posts
Course would have been ballin if they took out the round about. Just make it a sweeper and i think it would have been fun for the GT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts