Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to choose whether to go N/A or FI? If you go N/A where should you start?

·
Hey Everybody, Come See How Hard I Parked!
13,873 Posts
Only you can decided which way to go on this man! Do you want to hear the whine, or do you want to win on all motor? That is up to you.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If you got a lot of cash and dont want high power levels stick with N/A. Otherwise be smart and go F/I. You get more power and it will be cheaper at higher levels. You dont always have a whine with the superchargers just depends on the type you use. You can also go turbo... just depends.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I know absolutely nothing about superchargers...but am very familiar with turbos from previous autos (wrx, srt4). But you do have a point and I do like the hiss sound sometimes. Just wanted to think about N/A lol...

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
the only people that stay n/a are people that their mustang is just a way to get to work and people that are absolutely against f/i.

if you want to stay n/a you can look forward to spending around 10k to max this engine out and still be under what a base twin screw sc'er will get your stock long block. you'll be lucky to get 400rwhp n/a by doing every possible thing short of the long block.

on the f/i hand you spend 7k +/- on a kit of your choice (not the m90) and you'll be able to max out your stock long block in the vicinity of 500 rwhp

you can gain the same power succesfully with either a sc'er or a turbo.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
you should put a 200 hit of nitrous on that bitch:D. I like s/c's personaly but its your choice. Do some reading on the ups and downs of both types

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
N/A and F/I are both expensive! N/a is costly when buy every part separately. F/I is expensive because the clutch is burnt up, the tranny can't take the power, The gas mileage went into the toilet.. So either way it is going to cost. I don't have a lot of money so with that said, I spend about $1,000.00 or so per year, it has turned out to be a lot of fun shopping and having the new changes every spring. But my car is maybe a 12 second car on a good day, which is slow by todays standards.
So when they say that F/I is cheaper power if you divide the hp into $$ to find out how much the cost is per hp isn't realistic because it doesn't include the parts that can't take the stress of the extreme hp

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
My personal choice is to stay N/A, just seams to easy to slap a charger on and make gobs of power.. LOL, boy if that didn't sound like a sell for FI.. Im staying NA because Im kind of old school that way, don't really want a to go the easy route, and only use my car to play on the weekends.. don't care to race it.. Just enjoy driving around with my gal..

·
Registered
175 Posts
My last vehicle was supercharged. The added power was awesome! Like almost everybody, I wanted to up the power so I increased boost. It started with a pulley, then the cooling system had to be upgraded and then tuned and tuned and tuned (detonation in winter). I spent about $7k alone on the supercharger, upgrades to its cooling system, and tunes. I didn't have any labor cost because I did all of the work. After increasing the boost, I was always worried about blowing the engine, but wasn't willing to reduce power or spend the money for a forged block.

For $7k, I went a whopping 3-0 on the street, ran a good ET, felt I could beat most (in my class), and worried like hell about blowing the engine.

Things aren't always what they seem, but to each, their own!

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
F/I will get you better gas mileage, and easier to daily drive. Throw price out of the picture, because you can spend the same on both. If you want more than 350rwhp, go F/I... If you are happy with the car always being under 350rwhp, stick with bolt ons. When you start to go with heads and cams, the car sucks to daily drive. I drove with around 350rwhp for 2 years. I got around 20mpg on the highway and an average of 13.5 mpg. Now i put a V2 on the car and am currently at 505rwhp. I average 17.5 mpg and get over 24 on the highway.

·
10,234 Posts
with heads, cams, & 4.10's i was getting around 17 in town and 21 highway. lets get real though. who starts doing any real mods and is still worried about mileage.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
with heads, cams, & 4.10's i was getting around 17 in town and 21 highway. lets get real though. who starts doing any real mods and is still worried about mileage.
Me , But I'm old :(

·
I like when it's shiny.
1,768 Posts
the only people that stay n/a are people that their mustang is just a way to get to work and people that are absolutely against f/i.
I'm neither so it seems as though there must be others no? I'm staying NA until the day comes when my weekend cruiser's engine is old and tired. Then I'll do it the right way by building an engine with parts that are made for boost. Not the cheap easy, fast food McDonalds way...but to each their own. I'll also have many supporting mods to harness the power levels I'll be looking for, ie. suspension trans, LT's etc. One thing for sure it won't be no stinkin 4.6 liter anymore:)

·
10,234 Posts
sorry shouldn't have used such an absolute answer, but you also said you aren't staying n/a. so you know where you will end up eventually. i can understand wanting to get your money out of what you already have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts