Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. Currently driving a 2002 V6 with $2400 left to pay it off. I drive it MAYBE once week so not needed for a daily driver. THINKING about upping to a 2003or2004 Cobra but will have to start payments all over again. Would be nice to have the 6er paid off within the next year, but would it be a reasonable decision to INVEST in a 03-04 Cobra?

Again, either will be garaged full time and driven sparingly.

Should I pay off the 6er and put the money aside for fixes and ?????? or throw the $$$$ at a Cobra and deal with 4 or 5 more years of payments BUT be investing(basically)?

P.S. The wife is O.K. with the purchase/finance of the cobra. :):):D;):yes:p

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
I would pay off the sixer and buy it after. And not garage it. It's a Cobra, meant to be driven :lol. Don't neglect it if you get it haha

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
I say pay off the sixer, then the money your saving in not only monthly payments but insurance (if you drop coverage seeing as how its only driven once a week) you could save up money and have a very nice sizable down payment on a new 5.0 if the "itch" is felt again later.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
I'm biased as well, i paid of mine and there is no better feeling.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Pay off the v6, then buy the cobra, then use the v6 for when you need good gas mileage.

·
Registered
337 Posts
well, it really is all up to you.

if it were me I would pay the fukker off. you can mod a 6. its nowhere near as easy as modding a termi but you can mod them to make pretty decent power.

what I am going to do once my car is paid off is since I have proven I can handle loosing 450 a month, I will start putting that in a savings account every month. then hopefully I can tough it out a few years before buying another car.

money in account makes intrest for ME......money in payments makes way way way more money for THEM.

plus showing up to the dealership with cash gives you alot more negotiating power. not only that once you get to that point you actuall HAVE all of your cars value, not the diffrence of what you owe the bank, which for much of your loan will be a negative number.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
not trying to be an ass, but any car i buy will be paid in full...i was raised to only make payments on houses and medical bills. That being said, you can make a v6 quick...but a cobra would be awesome

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
honestly if i were you, just have fun with your paid off sixxer, and use your monthly payment money, that you wont be paying anymore, to invest into your sixxer, experiment, get into modding, and then down the road you can pickup a cobra or whatever you want

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
You do know how quickly Cobra's turn into money pits right?

If you need to finance a V6, then don't buy a Cobra, one major repair could cost you 1/2 the car you're driving now.

My attitude is if you're short on cash, dont buy a car if you have a perfectly working one. Once your payments are done with all you'll need to buy regularly is gas for it. Save the money and buy a nice mustang in cash, it will save you since you wont have to pay off the thousands in interest.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
You could also pay it off and do a 4.6 4v swap in it as well.. That's more badass than just going out and buying one IMO..

And Six Banger, my 6er turned into a money pit big time lol

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
And Six Banger, my 6er turned into a money pit big time lol

All what you make of it. I'm in college so I don't do any mods on mine (short of spending cash, more important things to use it on) and the only money that goes into it is for oil and gas. Once you start modding any car it becomes a money pit, "I could use this... or I bought this so I NEED that..."

I've just seen a lot of people have to pump money into Cobra's to keep them running well, maybe just a few bad ones but at this point not many of them were driven nicely up to this point, so they'll probably be more prone to breaking at some point.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the responses and wanted to reply just a little. Still haven't decided to purchase or not though.

Either isn't garaged for a value reason. I drive the 6er and would drive the Cobra whenever needed/wanted. It's just that I don't need it for a daily driver. My 6er has 100000+ miles and in the 4 years I have had it I only added about 25000 of that. The last 2 years not having to drive it much. I work on it myself and wouldn't have a problem modding it, but i have always wanted a Cobra and I love the 99-04 body-style better than just about any other. Especially the newer stuff. YES, the newer body styles have been good, but I still like the 99-04.

I only say "investment" as the one/ones that I am looking into are 1 owner with low miles and little to no mods.

AAAUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!! Decisions decisions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts