Modded Mustang Forums banner

decklid vinyl blakout

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  stang0246l 
#1 ·
im ordering the blackout vinyl for the decklid from standmods.com and was wondering how to remove the badges from the back? just use a heat gun and pry them off? also to people who have installed these is it like window tinting where you have to make sure you get all the bubbles out? and finaly if in the future i wanted to remove it would it harm the paint? thanks

#3 ·
I got the rear vinyl when I had a white GT ('99) but I ordered from RockyMountainGraphics.

The GT emblem is only held on by 3m tape so either use a heatgun/hair dryer to slowly peel it off or get something like fishing line to get it off. For me, the vinyl had a circle cutout in it for the FORD emblem so that was no problem.

Word of advice to make life 95873495 times easier... USE A SPRAY BOTTLE WITH WATER/SOAP.

#4 ·
yeah ive done window tint before with the water soap thing, ive seen a lot of people say windex works even better so ill use one of the two, but i didnt have very good luck with the window tinting so im hoping this goes better, its $50 so i really dont want to waste all that if it goes bad

#5 ·
DO NOT USE WINDEX! Do not even use windex to clean the area, vinyl or tint. The residual ammonia likes to prevent the "bonding" process. I know from experience.
If you get flat black getting all the bubbles out is not really a necessity. I have some in the corners of the trunk lid that you cannot see unless you are about 6 inches away looking for them.

#9 ·
yea, youll be fine just getting some vinyl from a shop

When squeegeeing the bubble outs, get MOST out, but dont worry if you dont get them all... Just let the car bake in the sun, and they should go away, and if they dont, just take a needle and pop them

#14 ·
i picked up a roll of vinyl from a sign shop today and did mine, i tried using soap and water but it didnt stick good on the edges, so i just didnt use it. there are still some small bubbles and some edges are crooked but whatever looks good if you arent right up to it looking for errors,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.