Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of procuring a new set of cams for my car. I haven't started and disassembly yet; but I have an 03 Romeo; so I assume that I have the covers over the cam bearings. With that said; when I degree in my cams (first time doing so) where should I grab my reading from? I saw some sources that put it on the rocker; but I don't think I'm going to be able to do so easily (just a hunch).

Another resource said that I should put the dial indicator on the top of the spring retainer? That would obviously be the easiest location if it's accurate. Any thoughts?

Also; what are some thoughts on Cam Gears? I know that there are adjustable cam gears; adjustable sprockets (like the ones from MHS), and I have even heard that some people grind their key-ways a bit on a factory gear.

I know that duration is a killer for blower cars; and that there are much better numbers to be made from blower cams. With that said; I can't deny that I want that classic muscle car sound so I think I am going to go N/A despite the boost loss.

I can pick up a new set of Comp Stage 3 cams for super cheap (like $300); but I am really drawn to the sound of the Howards Rattler cams (planning on doing behive springs, retainers, etc). Does anyone have any experience with either? I'm running 4.10s with full bolt-ons, full exhaust, etc. I tend to like my power band a little lower (as it is my tires want to break free around 3,000 RPM if I'm wide open right now anyway). Really hoping for the chop without degrading too much low end torque.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Everything you need to know right here..

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
When you say comp stage 3, is that the comp 270 cams?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Get a custom set from Todd Warren NA SVT. Tell him what you want and he'll tell you his thoughts and what he can do for you.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Get a custom set from Todd Warren NA SVT. Tell him what you want and he'll tell you his thoughts and what he can do for you.
Thanks for the advice. I tried to reach out on Instagram? Do you know the best way to get ahold of him?
You can always contact him on FB. As for the comp 270's thry are decent off the shelf cams, but you will lose a little torque down low. I recall reading an article on back to back testing between the comp 262s and the comp 270s. The comp 270's made like 8 more peak hp.. but the 262s made more power under the curve. The 262s were the better cam. Zero losses.. only gains.

Anyway, i would spread your feelers out, call around.. Todd warren, Jim Cushman @cushman motorsports, Jordan @Modular head shop. They all have netted great results with their different cam formulas. I have used comp cam 262s with a blower, CMS stage 2 turbo cams and MHS turbo cams which i currently use. They have all worked well for me. I have chatted tech numerous times with Jordan at MHS and also with todd warren. Their cam design theories are differing.. same with mhs and cms.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
I run cams spec'd Todd Warren. Tons of the really fast cars run Todd's cams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts