Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the sticky, and tried to find more info on the Internet...
I want the Comp 270s as I can get them at warehouse price, now I am a diesel tech, but I am unfamiliar with degreeing cams. Is it that difficult? I was kinda hoping I could just unbolt the old ones, put the new ones in the same place and be done but theres obviously a lot more set up. Any Insight, also would I have to degree these cams too much to avoid PTV? and lose any gains?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find that pretty hard to follow, I wish I could just mark the chain and put the new cams in. =(

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so my other question, are the comp cams 270s a good suit for me?
Or am I going to have to retard the cams so much to avoid PTV that I won't make any more power?

Car will have 70mm TB and Plenum, LT headers, catted H, magnaflow exhaust
and be tuned

·
Registered
678 Posts
You will have to retard the cams to get enough PTV clearance. On my car I think it ended being about 4.5 degrees. I lost a ton of torque with the 270's as well, most of which I blame on having to retard the cams so much. In your case I would go with MHS stage 2 cams and ordered them already degreed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Who sells MHS, I am in canada... and order them already degreed? In this case there would be a timing mark I could just line up?

Found out who sells MHS, and they ship to Canada!!

So if these come already degreed then Im sold

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
with those cams (no supercharger) and full bolt ons (minus a Throttle body/plenum) I was making 288 rwhp/ 316 rwtq

·
Registered
656 Posts
The cams come with gears already attached where they need be.. So u just line up ur timing marks and ur good to go

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**** eh, thats mint! I dont see those listed anywhere or is it special order?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found them, 150 bucks extra, not bad

·
Banned
760 Posts
do not even tray to install those straight up,I just finish installing mine,I have to retard one side 8* and advance the other 2*.
on you stock motor you are looking to install those at 113+ CL.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do not even tray to install those straight up,I just finish installing mine,I have to retard one side 8* and advance the other 2*.
on you stock motor you are looking to install those at 113+ CL.
but If I get the MHS stage 2s with them degreeing it, I could install them 'straight up' right?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I put Hi Tech Stage 2 in mine. Not to far off of the Comps. I ended up using Comp cam gears also because my passenger side dropped straight in at 108* when it needed a 112* intake centerline. And the driver side was at 110*. Even with dropping them straight in, which some have done, it's certain you'll loose power just because each bank is slightly different. Degree them. There are other ways to check PTV without pulling the head too. Another good thing to do.

·
Banned
760 Posts
I put Hi Tech Stage 2 in mine. Not to far off of the Comps. I ended up using Comp cam gears also because my passenger side dropped straight in at 108* when it needed a 112* intake centerline. And the driver side was at 110*. Even with dropping them straight in, which some have done, it's certain you'll loose power just because each bank is slightly different. Degree them. There are other ways to check PTV without pulling the head too. Another good thing to do.
how did you check PTV bud?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im In Toronto, and I still haven't got my answer, if they degreed it, would there be timing marks I could just line up and install? MHS Stage 2

·
Registered
428 Posts
MHS degrees cams on a blueprinted motor. Nick (MHS owner) states that if you use his degree service, dropping the cams in according to his marks will put you within 1* of the recommended ICL. However, some (including me) still say you should degree them. Or at the least check PTV because you never know.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts