Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well title says it all, since I bought the car there is a dent in the bottom of the pan that sits about 3 inchs from the drain plug bolt. Right now I really have to crank on the bolt to remove and install it. And not just fully seated, installing it from the start I need a ratchet and some decent muscle just to get the threads in. The threads on the bolt look fine, so Im thinking either the heilcoil is squished from the dent or the can its self is squished.

So, big question, should I just replace the pan or take it down and beat it with a hammer and some big punches to remove the dent. Im getting ready to do my LT headers, as soon as mac sends the damn things, im going to install them. Ill have access to a lift as well as a engin hoist, so getting the pan out once I take the K member down should not be any problem. Wont have to deal with the whole supporting the engin with a block of wood, and shouldnt have to pull the trany since the K member wont be there.

Well any suggestions be great.

Tony

·
Registered
922 Posts
Oil pans are cheap - I think you can order the stock one for like 30 bucks. Just replace it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for input, was plannin on that myself, got so much crap going to replace with this header install. Guess thats a good thing.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
just replace it and put a magnetic plug in it. The magnetic plug will pick up and metal shavings from the motor, and can save you a bunch of money!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the plan, if only my headers will come in so I can do all this overhaul at once.

·
Registered
187 Posts
just replace it and put a magnetic plug in it. The magnetic plug will pick up and metal shavings from the motor, and can save you a bunch of money!
where did you find a magnetic plug for the 4.6l? i see them all day for the 5.0, but have yet seen one for the 4.6. thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drop the pan and beat it out with a dolly block. Quick and FREE !

I might try this, new oil pan for 4.6 is 130 bucks, used one from a junk yard been quoted at 100. Its not a big dent, might just let it go or get a new plug. :p

Im not a cheep man, but I do belive in, if its not broke, dont fix it :p

Also, Fix it untill its broke also comes into play :p If you can make it fit, do it, untill ya break it

Haha, thats work though, not my car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live down In Tucson AZ, I travel up to phoenix few times a month to visit friends.

And the $130 dollar quote was from ford dealer, checkers and autozone dont stock them, figures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts