Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a cobra tank and when it arrived it was beaten to hell. Is it okay to still use or is there some way to get the dents out? With the dents in I know it will hold less fuel but it should still function correctly right? Here are some pics:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I recently bought a cobra tank and when it arrived it was beaten to hell. Is it okay to still use or is there some way to get the dents out? With the dents in I know it will hold less fuel but it should still function correctly right? Here are some pics:

Your good I'll post up a pic of my dented tank in a sec.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
well someone definately beat the hell out of it. As long as the top where the fuel hat bolts to, and the baffels inside aren't screwed up, your good to go. But like you said you may have lost a little bit of fuel capacity.

·
Registered
229 Posts
how does a tank get beat up like that. and why did you cut a big slit in it?
My cutting wheels were missing that day so I had to improvise, I had to cut it because the basket wouldnt come out because the basket and hole went out of alignment. There was road work around my house and they took the black top off the road so this one the sewer cap was exposed about 3 inches above road surface it caught my muffler wrapped my exaust around the rear end and then the car came back down on the muffler and did that.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Seeing as that's on the outer edge I don't think it would affect anything.

You could try and get your hands on some paintless dent remover tools, that might help. That includes both the suction/glue dent pullers and the tempered steel rods. You might be able to push it out with the rods from the inside.

...and where'd you get that tank btw? I'm in the market for one.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seeing as that's on the outer edge I don't think it would affect anything.

You could try and get your hands on some paintless dent remover tools, that might help. That includes both the suction/glue dent pullers and the tempered steel rods. You might be able to push it out with the rods from the inside.

...and where'd you get that tank btw? I'm in the market for one.
I got it from some guy selling it online. I almost bought one from here though: 2003-04 Mustang Cobra Fuel Tank by Ford Racing at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

The dent actually slopes up underneath the baffled part so I'm concerned the pumps might not fit. Do you think that dent removal thing would work on the metal tank?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I got it from some guy selling it online. I almost bought one from here though: 2003-04 Mustang Cobra Fuel Tank by Ford Racing at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

The dent actually slopes up underneath the baffled part so I'm concerned the pumps might not fit. Do you think that dent removal thing would work on the metal tank?
Dent removal works on body metal don't it? :eek:
The tempered metal rods from the inside might work better than the pullers though. Or even a good sized slide sledge.
You might even try a 2x4 and a hammer if you can fit it in there. And yes, I've used that for body work before.

If you absolutely can't reach it or do anything about it, you can resort to some more serious dent pulling tricks. If you can go to a body shop, they'll definitely have a stud puller. They weld a couple small studs to the tank, have a hammer that grips them, and they'll knock it out in no time. Then the studs just twist off. Or if you're cheap and happen to have a welder, get the screw/hook style slide hammer. Drill a hole, use slide hammer to pull it out, plug weld the hole.

I'm just throwing ideas out there. If it works and doesn't need it I wouldn't sweat it.

Also I saw the tank at LRS, trying to keep secondhand on my build. Haven't managed to get any sellers to contact me back yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts