Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dented my oil pan by jacking up on the front of the engine unfortunately I stupidly listened to a friend he didn't really think about what might happen if you do that and so now my rods clatter and I was wondering what the process Might be for a oil pan change

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
"out of order"
362 Posts
damn.. some friend. if u dont want to buy a new oil pan you can take it off and beat the crap out of it. as far as clatter of the rods i wouldn't start or drive it till you get the pan fixed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay it won't leak if I beat it will it?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It sounds to me as though he literally jacked "the front of the engine", it could be there is much more damage than just a dented up pan.

The K-member (the stock unit) cross-bar is one of the recommended jacking points (from the shop manual), I use it all the time...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why wouldnt you jack it up by the kmember? Your friend is an idiot. If wont leak if you dont penetrate it at all and dont mess up the mating surfaces of the oil pan
Okay I'll start with that and assess further damages

Question for ya froush
What number am I the laser red crew? Lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bro

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
So I dented my oil pan by jacking up on the front of the engine unfortunately I stupidly listened to a friend he didn't really think about what might happen if you do that and so now my rods clatter and I was wondering what the process Might be for a oil pan change

It must be really FUBAR'ed if you're getting rod clatter. The way the modular block is built, the skirt of the block actually extends further than the crank. That means you can pretty much fill the oil pan up to the brim and it won't dip rods into the oil.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Im wondering if the oil pickp tube is broken or pinched off due to the dent in your pan?you may be starving your motor of oil due to a restricted oil pickup tube which is why your hearing chatter. A picture would be nice.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I had this happen to me with a motor that got shipped on a pallet...front of pan had a small ding not very noticeable till you start it. I changed the pan on mine. Drop the k member and have a cherry picker or engine cradle hold the engine up...not all that hard. Just time consuming

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Drop the k-member, pull the pan. Otherwise you have to pull the trans.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just pulled trans and did clutch job don't want to do that again I will drop the k member and take oil pan off. The front is bent in just enough to feel a small little dip, I'm assuming it must be the pan but it may something inside of it, either way I have to drop the pan so that's where I'll start, hopefully tomorrow evening. Do y'all think it would be possible to hammer out the old pan without damaging it further?
Also when I put my hand on the dented in part while it was running last night I could feel something hitting the inside of the pan which convinced me to shut it off quickly lol

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
I've done it with trans pans. Just be easy. And get a rubber hammer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay that's great news cuz thos oil pans are expensive

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Make sure you support the engine. Either hang it or put a jack Stand under the crank pulley.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Why wouldnt you jack it up by the kmember? Your friend is an idiot. If wont leak if you dont penetrate it at all and dont mess up the mating surfaces of the oil pan
wow dude you and youre friend got a box o rocks for brains... the least you could of done is added a block of wood. youre gonna need to lift the motor out 2 inches to change the oil pan now. dont drive it unless you wanna blow a hole in your pan and change the oil on the pavement. good luck to you sir no offense.

haha and dont beat your oil pan back out and expect it to hold up. Its an oil pan, it gets hot in cold weather, hot in hot weather, cold in hot weather, cold in cold weather.... it deals with a lot of different temps and after you beat it with a hammer you are creating stress points in the pan. just buy an aftermarket pan from jegs for like 40 bucks. i use one and its taken a beating from motor upgrades in and out of the car, etc. bottom line its a good pan. why take the risk like that? IMO

1 - 20 of 26 Posts