Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get some shine back into my car. the paint is not bad at all just could be alil better. what should i do? im going to wash the car first then clay bar it. after that im lost. help me out please let me kno the steps of how to do it. and what products i need to complete it. any help is apreciated thank you..

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
After you do the Clay Bar you need to rewax the paint. Clay Bars actually strips some of the wax off the paint. So you want to rewax after every Clay Baring. For the best bang to the buck get some Turtle Wax paste from Walmart or a Auto shop. Walmart was it for around $2-$3 tops.

It comes with an applicator pad. Simply make sure the car is completly clean, just got Clay Bared, and in the shade. Dip the applicator pad into the paste and get a decent, but not large, ammount of the paste and buff it into the car by hand. Work one section as a time. Buff in circular motions and spread the wax evenly. Let it dry to a haze, and buff the wax off with a lint-free Microfiber Towel (which can also be picked up at Walmart/Auto store). Do this to every inch of the car.

If you want more shine, you can apply a 2nd coat... but use less wax per body panel than the first coat. After about an hour of drying in the shade you can go over it with some Mother's Detailing Spray. Simply spray a generous ammount on one body panel, rub it into the paint with one rag, and buff dry with another.

Do that, and the paint will shine like new. Check this site out, its where I get all my info for detaling.

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax

Oh, and if someone has not said so yet; Welcome to MM !

·
Registered
546 Posts
swirls - use polishing compound
scratches - used rubbing compound

all after clay bar but before wax. Look in clubhouse for ChrisJ's thread on detailing if you get a chance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's what I do:

I'm one of those nuts that will spend hours and hours waxing...

My car of course---

I wash it thoroughly with a microfiber-coated sponge and Meguiar's Gold Class soap. I've found that it works well and does not leave spots.

At this time, I spray light engine cleaner on the wheels and let them soak.

After washing the surface thoroughly, I go over all of the creases and seams with a painter's foam brush.

Go over to the headlights and scrub them with rubbing alcohol on a chunk of packing foam. Use packing foam so that the alcohol cannot touch anything but the headlight.

Rinse the engine cleaner off the wheels and scrub the tires with Black Magic on packing foam.

Quickly bring out the Carolina Car Squeegee and wipe off the roof, then windows, and work down. Go over the other areas with a small (1' square) chamois cloth.

Bring out the Clay Bar- I clay it every time I wash it. I made the mistake ONCE where I let my '90 LX air-dry during spring. I waxed over about a pound of pollen and it was a pain to remove. Now that I've got a GT I have to take a little more care hahaha.

Once I'm done claying EVERYTHING, I spread UV sealant on the headlights.

Bring out the polishing compound. Go over the entire car with a light coat of polishing compound IF there are is any surface crap. If not, there's no need to.

Bring out the Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax. This stuff is non-abrasive and not a cleaner wax, so it applies very smooth and covers a lot. Do a VERY thin coat over 1/4 of the car starting at the middle of the spoiler working around to the driver's side. While 1/4 cures, work on the next 1/4. If you take a break for more than 10 minutes, wipe the area with a microfiber cloth lightly.

When you come back around to a waxed area, wipe it with a low-nap terrycloth sponge. This eliminates that dust crap. Every minute or so, walk 10 feet away and shake the sponge out.

Once you have completed two complete loops, walk away for about an hour. Make sure the car is NOT in direct sunlight.

Come back and go over all surfaces with that microfiber cloth again.

Do two more cycles with the wax. Remember to use the least amount of wax that you can. Do not scrub hard.

The beauty of this is: You know you're done when the wax won't adhere anymore. Eventually this WILL occur. Just make sure you have an entire day to devote to this. Be patient. NEVER USE A CLEANER WAX IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL REMOVE YOUR PAINT!!!

I spent 6 hours one day just waxing my car with tiny tiny layers. The shine was incredible and dirt would not stick. I did not have to wash my car for a month.

Again, do not use a cleaner wax or you'll lose your paint.

If you screw up, get a wax blaster and start over.

(I reposted this from my original type-up on another forum)

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
:eek:

and I thought I took good care of my car....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i clayed my car. and i can feel and see the diffrence. not i put some imperial hand glaze to try and bring some shine back and it didn;t do much at all. after the hand glaze i put a coat of cleaner wax and now im sort of concerned that you said not to put it cause i will lose my paint. defintly not a good feeling. what should i do?

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
wash your car with dawn to get the "cleaner wax" off. Buys some polish, maguires makes good polish and polish your car. Then wax with carnuba wax or synthetic wax. Synthetic wax will last up to six months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts