Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i posted a thread earlier about installing my new springs. I noticed when i put them in that the passenger side was a good half inch higher. I recalled when i bought this car noticing that the drivers side did look like it was sitting lower. So, I took off the front loweirng springs and noticed i didnt have the drivers side all the way in the groove, lowered it down and it made the other side even look higher. My question is. To even out the car i cut almost a coil off my new passenger side spring, and WOW its even! Now, the cut spring is considerablly shorter, is this going to hurt anything? I just had the car aligned today. Thanks for any info/ input. MM :D

Oh and i officially said bye bye to speed bumps today, LOL

·
Registered
468 Posts
oh boy...thats all i have to say

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
ehhhhh...... ummm...... eeeeee.... uhhhhhh...... OMFG!!!! SHE'S GONNA BLOW!!!!!!!! GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE!!!!!!!!.

haha jk... you might wanna take it to a shop and hve them look at it... just to make sure

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i dont know what to tell you if you have brand new springs and isolators all the way around??

surely a blown strut wouldnt drop it that much?

I would not have cut a brand new spring though!!!

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
i dont know what to tell you if you have brand new springs and isolators all the way around??

surely a blown strut wouldnt drop it that much?

I would not have cut a brand new spring though!!!
+1

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought em new off craigslist for 60 bucks. the car was hit in the front end, i realized after i had bought it. Before i did th edrop it drove fine, tracked straight, no vibrations. I havent driven it since i cut that spring tonight. I guess the question is , is having that one spring be a little shorter gonna hurt anything?

And no i did NOT use the isolators. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
you shouldnt have had to cut your spring...unless they were two different lengths to begin with, that was not your problem...they are made to be the same overall height...if i were you i would either send them back if you can or cut the other one to the same height to even them out as well as the spring rates. Then I would make sure both upper and lower isolators were present. Next, if your caster camber plates came with spacers for the struts i would make sure they are even on both sides. Also, if it looks like it was mostyl the rear end that looked higher make sure that the pigtails on the bottom of the spring both face the driver side of the car

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you shouldnt have had to cut your spring...unless they were two different lengths to begin with, that was not your problem...they are made to be the same overall height...if i were you i would either send them back if you can or cut the other one to the same height to even them out as well as the spring rates. Then I would make sure both upper and lower isolators were present. Next, if your caster camber plates came with spacers for the struts i would make sure they are even on both sides. Also, if it looks like it was mostyl the rear end that looked higher make sure that the pigtails on the bottom of the spring both face the driver side of the car
If i cut the other one, it would hit the tire. Im gonna post pics righ tnow of what the car looked liked after i put the new springs in. ANd i have just one spacer on on the struts on both sides. And it was the whole passenger side that was higher than the drivers. But almost exactly .5 inch. I measured form the center of the wheel cap to the fender and it was .5 inch difference between drivers and passenger sides.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
do some springs have a stiffer spring for the rears/fronts?

Not underminding your mechanics in the least bit, but making it possible to have say 2 springs intended for the fronts on the left side and a stiffer or taller spring for the rear on the passenger side?

I'm trying to figure this out, i've never heard of this happening

·
Registered
468 Posts
not sure what to say...i would have someone look at it...but the spring prob wasnt the problem

·
Registered
468 Posts
maybe the car didnt get a chance to settle...i just put new struts on my car and the side that was last jacked up sat higher until i drove a few miles

·
Registered
468 Posts
looked how my car looked until it settled

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
yeah... not near as drastic as i was picturing in my head....

i would still take it to a shop and let them look it over just to make sure nothing is messed up from the wreck.... which i wouldnt imagine would be if it was able to be aligned

·
Registered
468 Posts
make up a bs story and send them back

1 - 20 of 32 Posts