Modded Mustang Forums banner

Did i do damage

1K views 31 replies 5 participants last post by  mikevm78 
#1 ·
So i posted a thread earlier about installing my new springs. I noticed when i put them in that the passenger side was a good half inch higher. I recalled when i bought this car noticing that the drivers side did look like it was sitting lower. So, I took off the front loweirng springs and noticed i didnt have the drivers side all the way in the groove, lowered it down and it made the other side even look higher. My question is. To even out the car i cut almost a coil off my new passenger side spring, and WOW its even! Now, the cut spring is considerablly shorter, is this going to hurt anything? I just had the car aligned today. Thanks for any info/ input. MM :D

Oh and i officially said bye bye to speed bumps today, LOL

#8 ·
i bought em new off craigslist for 60 bucks. the car was hit in the front end, i realized after i had bought it. Before i did th edrop it drove fine, tracked straight, no vibrations. I havent driven it since i cut that spring tonight. I guess the question is , is having that one spring be a little shorter gonna hurt anything?

And no i did NOT use the isolators. :)

#9 ·
you shouldnt have had to cut your spring...unless they were two different lengths to begin with, that was not your problem...they are made to be the same overall height...if i were you i would either send them back if you can or cut the other one to the same height to even them out as well as the spring rates. Then I would make sure both upper and lower isolators were present. Next, if your caster camber plates came with spacers for the struts i would make sure they are even on both sides. Also, if it looks like it was mostyl the rear end that looked higher make sure that the pigtails on the bottom of the spring both face the driver side of the car

#10 ·
you shouldnt have had to cut your spring...unless they were two different lengths to begin with, that was not your problem...they are made to be the same overall height...if i were you i would either send them back if you can or cut the other one to the same height to even them out as well as the spring rates. Then I would make sure both upper and lower isolators were present. Next, if your caster camber plates came with spacers for the struts i would make sure they are even on both sides. Also, if it looks like it was mostyl the rear end that looked higher make sure that the pigtails on the bottom of the spring both face the driver side of the car
If i cut the other one, it would hit the tire. Im gonna post pics righ tnow of what the car looked liked after i put the new springs in. ANd i have just one spacer on on the struts on both sides. And it was the whole passenger side that was higher than the drivers. But almost exactly .5 inch. I measured form the center of the wheel cap to the fender and it was .5 inch difference between drivers and passenger sides.

#11 ·
do some springs have a stiffer spring for the rears/fronts?

Not underminding your mechanics in the least bit, but making it possible to have say 2 springs intended for the fronts on the left side and a stiffer or taller spring for the rear on the passenger side?

I'm trying to figure this out, i've never heard of this happening

#12 ·
not sure what to say...i would have someone look at it...but the spring prob wasnt the problem

#13 ·
maybe the car didnt get a chance to settle...i just put new struts on my car and the side that was last jacked up sat higher until i drove a few miles

#21 ·
yeah... not near as drastic as i was picturing in my head....

i would still take it to a shop and let them look it over just to make sure nothing is messed up from the wreck.... which i wouldnt imagine would be if it was able to be aligned
They told me with the plates they were just able to get it to spec. And thats it! I got the plates b/c i tried to have it aligned last week and they could not get the passenger side to get into spec with the factroy specs, wasnt even close.

#25 ·
im talking about checking to see if the strut itself is blown

either way, there is no reason you should have to have adjustable c/c plates to adjust stock springs to stock specs. something is just not right about that
How do you tell if one is blown? i tried the push up and down on the fender to get the front end moving up and down and when i let off went right back up, no other movement.

#28 ·
when you were driving, was there any vibration or a bouncy feel from that side on the front?

dude i'm running out of ideas here haha
LOL sorry about all this mess. But no it always drove fine. No vibrations, no pulling, nada. Looks like im buyong another set of springs, this time i think im going to get a name brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.