Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never datalogged my Bullitt while just driving around, but I was asked to do some testing and an install with pictures on an aftermarket radiator, so I decided to do some datalogging of the ECT's to see if there's any cooling benefits to swapping to an aftermarket radiator and fan shroud setup. (No, I don't expect anything different with a mild setup). I was also interested in seeing what my IATs are driving around with my current filter setup.

Today's weather was a downright hot 96 degrees ambient air temperature, so it was a good day to check both out. The results weren't shocking, but a bit different than I expected for the IAT numbers.

Engine Coolant Temp numbers:

55-60mph cruising steady: 196 degrees steady. Never changed.

When I hit traffic, in stop and go traffic, my temperatures stayed around 200 degrees. Never went higher than 202, and then the fan kicked on and it went right back to 200 and stayed there, even after sitting for 10 minutes.

Input Air Temperature Numbers:

Well, I guess I should preface this by saying that my current setup is a C&L intake tube with 4x9 filter under the hood and a JLT heatshield.

Steady cruising at 55-60mph, the IATs were 96-98 degrees. Right at ambient air temperature. Didn't expect that, I figured it would be slightly higher than ambient all the time with the filter under the hood.

Stopped in traffic for 10 minutes: IATs went up to 120 degrees, but whenever I would move even 20mph, they would plummet quickly to 102 degrees within 20 seconds. Once I hit 30mph, they would even back out at 98 degrees. within 35-40 seconds. Interesting...

Let's do a 1-3 pull after sitting in traffic. From 112 degree IATs to 98 degrees within 30 seconds every time..... OK, not too bad.

I got a bit curious after that, so I stopped and pulled my passenger's side headlight and remeasure. After pulling the headlight, IATs would only climb to 114 degrees after 10 minutes stopped, and would drop to ambient air temperature immediately when the car started to move. Even 10mph brought 96 degree IAT readings.

Just some numbers that I thought some of you automotive geeks like me would find interesting.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
you should pull the heat shield off and data log. i see lots of people running open filters with out a heat sheild. i know kenne bell did a write up on what the diff was with a in the hood with out a heat shield vs in the fender. interesting to see what you come up with if you try it.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
you should pull the heat shield off and data log. i see lots of people running open filters with out a heat sheild. i know kenne bell did a write up on what the diff was with a in the hood with out a heat shield vs in the fender. interesting to see what you come up with if you try it.
I'd be really interested in seeing that info.

And good write-up bullitt. Maybe pulling the headlight at the track isn't a bad idea

1 - 7 of 7 Posts