Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i finally got my car running good, and stays at a pretty constant idle, but when its hot and i push the clutch in the rpms drop, surge then most of the time it dies, but never any other time at idle only when i push the clutch in...any ideas?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Is this a convert from an auto? I would follow the same troubleshooting steps that people with idle surging have, dirty IAB or EGR, TPS, FP to high, VAC leak etc... Do a search on that, many threads.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this a convert from an auto? I would follow the same troubleshooting steps that people with idle surging have, dirty IAB or EGR, TPS, FP to high, VAC leak etc... Do a search on that, many threads.
ive cleaned, checked, and set all of those. it runs great when the clutch is out, its only when i push the clutch in that there are any problems

FP is 38# tps is .989v

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Just to be clear, by clutch in and clutch out, are you literally refering to just the clutch position or are you refering to you are driving along fine and you push in the clutch or go to N as you come to a stop and the rpm immediately drops down to like 500-600, surges back up maybe to 1100 or close and then dies. What happens if you push in the clutch or go to N and then slowly bring down the rpm with your foot. The reason I asked if it was a auto convert is because the computer should hold the idle while moving greater 5mph above 1000 rpm and only drops to the real idle speed when you slow below that. With auto convert not done correctly or if you have a problem with the VSS signal to the computer, this will not happen and the car tends to die because rpm is dropped to quickly. If it is not that, I would double check the idle surging stuff again. I know the EGR and IAB path can be clogged and cause similar problems.

If you are idling fine in your driveway and you push in the clutch and the car dies, I have no idea.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no its always been a 5speed car.

if im driving along and am coming to a stop sign, i push the clutch in, put it in neutral, let the clutch out, stop, clutch in and on the gas quickly i am fine.

if im coming to a stop sign, put the clutch in, drop it into first and hold the clutch in waiting to go i get real bad idle surge, drop the volts, and it eventually dies

·
Registered
609 Posts
mine did the same thing except it wouldnt surge...it would just die...but it only did it when i got to atleast to 3rd gear...if i went thru 1st and 2nd it wouldnt do it...very weird....

when i had mine retuned from HCI, it fixed it...no f-ing clue what it was...good luck

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
no f-ing clue what it was...good luck
Probably a vac leak somewhere that got fixed when you swapped parts. I'm in the process of replacing my lower intake gaskets and hope it solves my identical surging problem (and my water leaking as well).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
when ever I have a vaccum leak I just spray a little throttle body or carb cleaner on the tips of the hoses or ellbow fittings on on the intake maniford and if it misfires for a sec then thats what you need to replace

1 - 9 of 9 Posts