Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I guess ill start with my plans, I am building a 2v from the ground up including a blower, stage 3 cams, possibly nitrous, ect. One of my suppliers at work carry Clevite main and rod bearings but they list "standard" and "high performance" for more than double the price. Other than those 2 differences, they can't tell me much about what I need. Would the standard bearings be enough for me? I plan on 500-550 rwhp. Thanks for any responses in advance.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
There is alot of science to main and rod bearings honestly. Most of us will never know the difference but you cant go wrong with the HP bearings. Be careful though because there is alot of different bearing configurations between iron, aluminum, 4.6, 5.4 bearings. Be sure to look at all the specs. FWIW on a under 700rwhp build I prefer the King HP bearings.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its an iron Romeo block and will just be a weekend/strip car. I figured I might as well go with the better ones but if it didn't really matter then I wouldn't complain about saving $100. I will be building it myself, my first build, but I have a friend that's gonna help me that has been through the panoz schools, which I hear the motors are very similar. I am having a machine shop balance and hone everything but I will be assembling.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Iron blocks are a little bit easier to shop for but i would still have your machinist purchase the correct main bearings wile its being honed. theres 3 differents sets and range from different tang locations to different thrust bearings. since your building this motor for performance its crucial to have the right ones. The rod bearings are pretty much straight forward and should yield no complications.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the guy at my supplier said there was a set with 1 thrust or 3. I'm about 99% sure mine had one when I took it apart. I'm getting it machined by Engine Services in Braselton GA who has built many motors for Kurgan so Im sure they know their stuff. I guess ill give them a call and see what they recommend. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm pretty sure those are the "high performance" ones he was talking about. If that price does one cylinder then I can get them for much cheaper. I remember him saying something about H series.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I'm pretty sure those are the "high performance" ones he was talking about. If that price does one cylinder then I can get them for much cheaper. I remember him saying something about H series.
These are the "coated" h series. cost more than the standard h series

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.