Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know if there is any difference in a 6 bolt crankshafts between a Mustang and a Lincoln Towncar? I'm asking because I need a crankshaft for my car and I found out I have a Towncar bottom end in my car.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
There shouldn't be really, that's why they called these modular engines, they used them in all the cars and trucks.

If you're replacing a crank I would suggest getting a forged crank and rods while your at it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There shouldn't be really, that's why they called these modular engines, they used them in all the cars and trucks.

If you're replacing a crank I would suggest getting a forged crank and rods while your at it.
same thing I said but for some reason the part numbers came up different. As far as going forged...... I wish I could but the budget is saying no for now. I do plan to possibly build a block after I'm done with College.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ford gave different part numbers to different models. For example an SVT Focus fuel pump is the same pump as the Jaguar, but they have different part numbers.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
if they are both 6 bolt cranks then there shouldnt be a difference. i believe the only difference is between the gt cranks and the cobra cranks. cobras obv being forged. im pretty sure even the windsor 8 bolt cranks arent really even stronger than the regular 6bolt cranks but i could be mistaken

Reactions: snake_bitten711

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ford gave different part numbers to different models. For example an SVT Focus fuel pump is the same pump as the Jaguar, but they have different part numbers.
if they are both 6 bolt cranks then there shouldnt be a difference. i believe the only difference is between the gt cranks and the cobra cranks. cobras obv being forged. im pretty sure even the windsor 8 bolt cranks arent really even stronger than the regular 6bolt cranks but i could be mistaken
Cool. Here's the deal I found the crank and bearing kit at Auto Zone. 2 different part numbers for 6 bolt cranks.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
doesnt matter which one, probably just refers to if it was made in romeo or windsor most likely

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
how did you find out you have a towncar bottom end? if i ripped it apart i probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference unless it was something obvious....

the only differences in the cranks that i can think of are 6 bolt or 8 bolt and forged or not forged. otherwise everything should be interchangeable

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how did you find out you have a towncar bottom end? if i ripped it apart i probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference unless it was something obvious....

the only differences in the cranks that i can think of are 6 bolt or 8 bolt and forged or not forged. otherwise everything should be interchangeable
I got the car from my uncle and I gave him a call. Turns out my uncle has my block that only had 9k miles on it and put it in his car and my block which was rebuilt for the most part only has about 3k miles on it was out of a town car with less than 100k miles on it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
why do you need a crankshaft anyway? did you mess yours up or something? im trying to figure out what the point of these questions are and why it makes a difference. i mean as far as i knew any of the 4.6 cranks could be swapped into any other 4.6 engine and same with the 5.4. as well you could swap any of the pistons in ANY of the modular engines and swap rods into any of the designated engine 4.6,5.4, 6.8 etc

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
why do you need a crankshaft anyway? did you mess yours up or something? im trying to figure out what the point of these questions are and why it makes a difference. i mean as far as i knew any of the 4.6 cranks could be swapped into any other 4.6 engine and same with the 5.4. as well you could swap any of the pistons in ANY of the modular engines and swap rods into any of the designated engine 4.6,5.4, 6.8 etc
I was looking into changing the crank because I spun a rod I will be pulling apart my motor tomorrow and was looking for options in case mine wasn't able to be repaired. Plus I was looking at cost since my budget sucks at the moment and I really want to drive my car. It has been down since December.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
tear it down and if there are score marks on the crank THEN decide on crankshaft. id just go with a regular mustang gt crank. it really wont matter though if they are mixed and matched

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tear it down and if there are score marks on the crank THEN decide on crankshaft. id just go with a regular mustang gt crank. it really wont matter though if they are mixed and matched
Thanks, that was my initial plan was just trying to think ahead just in case so I knew what I had to look forward to.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
honestly it doesnt matter which crankshaft you get unless you mess up and get a 5.4 crank

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
honestly it doesnt matter which crankshaft you get unless you mess up and get a 5.4 crank
Thanks, hopefully I will get a chance to get it out next weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts