Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im interested in getting some headers and x-pipe for my car. The shorty headers are more affordable but I would rather go with what packs the better punch. Does anyone know for certain wut type of HP gain differences u can expect between shorties and longtubes?? Also since my car is supercharged going with headers and x-pipe will make me lose boost. So when installing them should I go with a diff size pulley to bring the boost back up to where it once was? One person told me the money I will spend in putting headers and xpipe on and getting a new tune wont be worth the HP it gives me.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
their right, the cost isn't worth it.

shorties might get you 5-10
longtubes might get you 10-20

take notice I said might.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Casper speaks the truth, although LTs do allow more air flow the expense is not worth the gain.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
i got my LT's for 150 and install is free so seems worth it to me on a cammed car...

dunno how much they help on just an s/c only car

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
i got my LT's for 150 and install is free so seems worth it to me on a cammed car...

in your case I completely agree they were worth it, but the o/p gives the impression he'll be paying someone for the install/tube/etc, in that case I would have some "bang for your buck" type issues.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Personally if they aren't long tubes I wouldn't bother at all. Headers on any mod motor are a pain in the ass. We did back to back testing on a 2006 at my buddy's shop and with aftermarket shorty headers it actually lost power all through the RPM range.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Cammed high rpm motors see more gains. I saw before and after dynos not long ago. A 430 rwhp supercharged motor got 10 rwhp with long-tubes. I'm not sure I even got that much. I don't think long-tubes are worth it. If you get them for almost nothing and install them yourself then OK. I bought mine new and had them installed. It was a thousand dollars I should have saved. I think you will get almost as much out of an off-road mid-pipe as LTs.

I saw no loss of boost but boost is sometimes just a mearsure of restriction. That might be because I'm running a catted x-pipe instead of an o/r mid-pipe.

I caught the tail end of a test on Horsepower TV a couple of years ago. They first tested shorties, then long-tubes. On that test motor, long-tubes showed no gain over shorties. The shorties gained 7 bhp. I am sure that on high rpm cammed race motor the result would have been different.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I am sure that on high rpm cammed race motor the result would have been different.
This brings up a point that is too often overlooked with headers. You usually end up with two camps of "well I made a ton more HP and they only cost me $300" and "I didn't get any difference and I spent $800." The reason these exist is because both are actually true. Your performance gains due to headers are not a fixed quantity. You don't slap them on and automatically gain 10hp, the power gains are in proportion to other modifications to your car. As mentioned a well designed high RPM cammed car, especially NA is going to see much bigger gains than just a bolt on one.

So keep in mind that these are a tool to help evacuate exhaust from the cylinder, not so much a way to reduce restriction. When operating at higher RPM's, at higher power levels, particularly when you don't have a boosted intake charge to help remove exhaust gases, these will provide substantial gains. I can't speak for your case because I don't know the details, but I'm sure you can make your own conclusions about gains from this post.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i have like 400 into my long tube set up and install was cheap, plus i love the sound

·
Registered
508 Posts

where did you get lts for 150, everywhere i look theyre 400+, or you get them used?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
LTs are great if you got a setup that can utilise the extra flow it allows. If its cams or a blower, I would think LT's would be very good no matter how you look at it... of course it is gonna be expensive, so is everything you do to these damn cars lol

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have bbk shortys and love them. I bought them over lts because of price, the difficulty of installation, and the fact that if I need to put a catted pipe back on i can always go with stock h. plus i just wanted it for the rumble:)

there really is no gain with shorty style on my car, maybe 1 or 2 and lts gain maybe 10+ but thats with a car make higher hp

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
sorry to say it but shortys are useless on these cars. The ONLY thing that might be worth it is Long tubes.

P.S. LT's do pretty much nothing when it comes to sound out the back of your tail pipes.

P.S.S Dont buy BBK LT's if you dont want to drop them every time you got to do transmission work

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
OP, one thing you need to think about is, you need more than just headers. i just recently bought everything needed.

what i bought:
LT's
short midpipe
O2 harness extensions
header gaskets(buy good gaskets)

all that ran me about $670 i could have knocked $100 off that by buying an h-pipe but i wanted a prochamber.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP, one thing you need to think about is, you need more than just headers. i just recently bought everything needed.

what i bought:
LT's
short midpipe
O2 harness extensions
header gaskets(buy good gaskets)

all that ran me about $670 i could have knocked $100 off that by buying an h-pipe but i wanted a prochamber.
Ok here is the delima I have. I have the money in hand to do all this.. but is it really worth it. Lets say I get the exact same parts you have. My car hasn't been tuned in 9 years. the tune chip i have is out dated and can't be used anymore. I will have to buy a SCT flash tuner, which i'll need anyway. so here is the prices im looking at

Parts $670
Installation $200
SCT tuner $300
1 hour dyno time $150 (im assuming this means tuning included)

So im looking at $1,320 to gain 20 HP if im lucky.. Just not sure if it's really worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just go with an o/r mid-pipe, tuner, and dyno time. save the rest for your gas tank:D
So I should just go with a x-pipe and no cats? cause right now my exhaust is factory with factory cats. then it has borla exhaust after the cats.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts