Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain wat the difference in the 2 is? Is there more styles of 4.6s? I found a romeo short block with 76K miles for 550 bucks. Is this a good deal? I believe i may be needin to be on the look out for another motor for my stang here soon. :( I have a 2000 mustang gt and as far as i kno the motor is the original that came in it.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Valve covers and one uses pressed on cam gears while the other uses bolt on cam gears. It'll drop right into your car just fine.

·
Registered
892 Posts
so far as interchang-ability in a car, they are the same. one is not better than the other. Romeos ahve the oil fill on drivers side, windsor on pass. valve cover bolts, cam gears, little stuff. whats wrong with your current engine? why not buy a forged shortblock while its out? if you end up buying it, i would stick new bearings in it and re-ring it while its out too. cheap insurance when going with used parts.

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
Which motor has pressed on cam gears? :eek:

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my motor just doesnt have the power i think it should. i just wanna get me another block and start from scratch. build it like i want it then when it comes time to swap em out ill be ready to go

·
:)
11,583 Posts
Romeos ahve the oil fill on drivers side, windsor on pass.

Well ****, all this time I thought I had a romeo, but I have a windsor...??? Isn't something also different on the timing cover? I know when I was getting mine replaced, there was some sort of difference between the years... or romeo/windsor.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Length of the accessory drive is longer on early years and they also use an inverted tensioner.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Romeos ahve the oil fill on drivers side, windsor on pass.

That's funny I have an 01 and 02 sitting in my dirveway and both are Romeo's and have the oil fill on the passenger side! 11 bolt valve cover is Romeo and 13 Bolt is Windsor. End of story. Just my .02

·
Registered
892 Posts
wierd, i thought windsors came in the 99-02 gt's and the romeos were 96-98 and then 03-up. because mahcs have WAP alum blocks, and windsor stopped making iron blocks, hence the 03-04 gts getting romeo parts then.

VIN 6 refers to 4.6L SOHC Windsor produced engines.
VIN W refers to 4.6L SOHC Romeo produced engines.
VIN X refers to 4.6L SOHC Windsor produced Mustang engines.

an just thought of something else, the cam caps on the 2 are different. romeo has 2 big bridge cam caps. romeo has individual caps for each location.

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
wierd, i thought windsors came in the 99-02 gt's and the romeos were 96-98 and then 03-up. because mahcs have WAP alum blocks, and windsor stopped making iron blocks, hence the 03-04 gts getting romeo parts then.

VIN X refers to 4.6L SOHC Windsor produced Mustang engines.

an just thought of something else, the cam caps on the 2 are different. romeo has 2 big bridge cam caps. romeo has individual caps for each location.
Windsors came in 99-mid 01 GTs. All the Windsor is, is a 4.6 truck motor stuffed in the mustang. Mid01-04 GTs are PI Romeo...96-98s are NPI Romeo. I don't trust VINs...I trust looking at the motor/heads.

And I think you Typo'd about the heads. Romeo has girdled caps, while windsor has individual caps...

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
VIN X refers to 4.6L SOHC Windsor produced Mustang engines
Not true for the Mustang. There was a fire at the Romeo plant. Ford had to put Windsor truck motors in the 99 to mid-01 Mustang GTs. It didn't matter if it was a Romeo or a Windsor for the Mustang GT Ford put an X for the engine code. My 2000 Mustang GT has a Windsor motor. A 2004 has a Romeo motor. Both have an X in the 8th digit. Please read the footnotes:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/pdfs/VIN2000.pdf
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/pdfs/VIN2004.pdf
...Footnote #2 for the 2000 year X codes says, "X only used for the Mustang GT and differs from the W coded engine.
...Footnote #4 for the 2004 year X code says, "Standard on Mustang GT."

This is a summary of all years.
All Ford Mustang VIN Decoder - MustangAttitude.com Data Explorer

All Mustang GTs have the X motor code. It doesn't matter if its a Windsor or Romeo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not a mustang question but a 4.6 question ? Im having a hard time determining what 4.6 and what year engine I have ??
I recently bought a 1999 crown victoria police interceptor p71 with a 4.6
It should be a Romeo, but it has 13-14 valve cover bolts, but the oil fill cap is on the driver's side ?
It also has the P.I heads and intake ?
Im assuming that the engine was swapped somewhere in its life ? How can I tell what year engine I have and exactly what I have

1 - 17 of 17 Posts