Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I own a '99 GT and have no experience with the 2011-2014 GTs so please don't be too harsh.

I hope to upgrade to the Coyote platform one day, and am curious as to the differences within these years.

Specifically, the engine, suspension, transmission, interior and exterior.

Also, what makes the Boss 302 different than a GT? I read somewhere that it is the intake, exhaust, tuning and suspension. Anything else?

Thanks for your time.

-Coyote newbie

·
Registered
419 Posts
The biggest difference is the body shape change from the 11-12 to the 13-14, other than that it is just small features i believe other than a couple more hp squeezed out of the conservative factory tune.

the Boss on the other hand is a total different set up from the regular GT.

Like you I have a 2000 GT and a 2013 5.0 and the difference is night and day and driving the new edge versus the 5.0 is like driving a dinosaur. at least that is my opinion.

·
Hi I'm Sean
3,962 Posts
Well the most obvious thing is that the front end of the 11-12's doesn't look like a crosseyed catfish while the rear end of the 11-12's looks like the tail lights got slapped with a candy cane instead of a sexy cane like the 13-14's.

As far as the engine goes the 13+ got revised pistons (if I am remembering correctly the spacing on the ring lands is slightly different) and some of them had the oil cooling jets deleted while others didn't. Good luck figuring which ones did and which ones didn't. Late model MT-82 14's have an ECU capable of running a track key software while all the other cars except the Boss 302 don't have those capabilities.

Transmission is the same throughout the years.

Suspension is close to the same. The 11-12's had the Brembo Brake Package which added different tires, Brembo brakes, 3.73's, Front and rear sway bars from the 2009 GT500 IIRC, shocks and struts were tuned differently than the non brembo GT's, ESC was revised as well. Then the 13-14's had the Track Pack which was the Brembo Brake Package plus the Boss 302 oil cooler, and I believe the Boss 302 radiator as well.

As far as the Boss 302 differences the engine is different from top to bottom.
  • Forged Rods
  • Mahle spec pistons
  • Same Forged Crank as the GT only balanced differently
  • CNC'd heads
  • sodium filled exhaust valve
  • lightweight intake valves
  • different valve springs
  • 13mm lift exhaust cam
  • Short runner intake manifold for higher RPM power
  • Boss 302 gets an oil cooler
  • different radiator
  • different muffler tips
  • side exhaust pipes
  • 3.73s come standard
  • optional Torsen Differential (Although you would be hard pressed to find one that doesn't have it; come standard on the Laguna Seca)
  • 19x9 255 tires all around (base Boss 302) 19x9.5 front 255 R compound tires 19x10 285 R compound tires in the rear (Laguna Seca)
  • revised spring rates for both Boss 302 and Laguna Seca models
  • 5 way adjustable dampers (stiffer settings on Laguna Seca models)
  • Revised ESC and advanced trac settings
  • Recaro Seats are an option (Standard in all Laguna Secas)
  • different shifter
  • alcantara steering wheel
  • Rear seat delete with X-Brace (Laguna Seca Only)
  • Front splitter on regular Boss 302's
  • Large front Splitter on Laguna Seca that in conjunction with the Rear spoiler adds (IIRC) 90lbs. of downforce at 120mph
  • Competition Orange is an option on 2012 Boss 302's
  • Sync becomes available on 2013 models
I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting because there is a lot of things that are different between a GT and a Boss 302.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I went from a supercharged 03 gt to a 2014 5.0 and haven't looked back. It's a night and day car, from both exterior looks, to interior to drivability. I liked the look of the new edge, but love these new interiors a lot more. Personally I like the look of the 13-14 better than the 11-12, however it's more of a personal preference. There are a lot of good looking 11-12 out there, including a bunch on this site.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Buy a 2010 GT, it's the best of both worlds. :Shiftyeyes

·
11.5:1 or GTFO
12,899 Posts
Technically, mine is a 2010.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
lol it was sarcasm.

Mine is a 2010 too if we're going by technicalities.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi there, I own a '99 GT and have no experience with the 2011-2014 GTs so please don't be too harsh.

I hope to upgrade to the Coyote platform one day, and am curious as to the differences within these years.

Specifically, the engine, suspension, transmission, interior and exterior.

Also, what makes the Boss 302 different than a GT? I read somewhere that it is the intake, exhaust, tuning and suspension. Anything else?

Thanks for your time.

-Coyote newbie
I have to say (IMO) the 13-14 Mustangs are the best Mustangs EVER built. They are so refined and just flat out look the best.

·
12,899 Posts
Heard the 2011's are the fastest and the drivers are the sexiest. It's scientifically proven.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Heard the 2011's are the fastest and the drivers are the sexiest. It's scientifically proven.
I'll second that motion.

·
12,899 Posts
Do you really expect anything else from this forum?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts